Homeโ€บ JGAurora A5S, A1 & A3S-V2โ€บ Getting Started & Troubleshooting

A5S Hot end sock .

Does anyone know where to get a hot end silicon sock for the A5S?

Comments

• DukeLanderDukeLander Posts: 23Member
    If I may ask, why do you need it?
  • Stephen ToddStephen Todd Posts: 281๐ŸŒŸ Super Member ๐ŸŒŸ
    The hotends of JGAuroras are clones of a well know brand - simply put "hotend silicone heat socks" in Amazon, eBay, aliexpress, etc. and you will find them

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    edited March 2020
    @Stephen Toddย  - there are a range of similar but not exact sized options, at least, nothing fitting exactly as far as I know.

There is a talented person on the Facebook group who cast his own out of silicone.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/jgauroracommunity/permalink/1273980666117039/

Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
    Yes, silicone molds are used for casting decorative resin chess sets - making the molds is easy, I've seen it done - biggest problem is preventing air bubbles, but I don't know if the usual casting silicone is high heat resistant

Aliexpress has lots of different designs at very low prices - I think if you search for a specific make of printer such as Ender 3, you'll find the right one

• giantrobot2001giantrobot2001 Posts: 106๐ŸŒŸ Super Member ๐ŸŒŸ
    How does the heat retention of those "socks" effect the overall functioning of the hotend?ย  Seems like it would reduce alot of heat loss which could be bad, or could be good.

A little off topic, but not for 3d printers.ย  I do know about casting... Like for chess pieces.ย  Getting bubbles out of a cast like that is easy - just pour and put it in a vacuum chamber.ย  The air is unable to fit in the material at the reduced pressure, and they pop right up and out (or they explode out - haha).ย  I do some casting - printing the prototype in PLA and making rubber molds from those.
    I put my printers in cabinets, so not seen the need for a heat sock - but people who use them swear by them - they definitely work in keeping the temperature stable, which is a good thing

If you are going to fit a heat sock, you may as well also glue a cork tile under the heat bed to help that keep a contant temperature as well - then the power supply will not have to work so hard - you'll save money as well

Monoprice wrap an insulation tape around the hot end - its held in place with Kapton tape

Making heat socks for the less popular 3D printers is likely a good business model
  • MarkMarcumMarkMarcum Posts: 19Member
    i wanted the sock to keep filament from sticking to the hot end and forming that black tar substance. sometimes prints go bad when im not babysitting my printer. we've all been there.ย 
  • spooknikspooknik Posts: 19Member
    edited May 2020
    Just to chime in on the sock keeping the temps stable, the does help and silicon has low thermal conductivity.

However I think something like a Volcano hotend would probably be a lot more effective. I know the purpose of a Volcano is to melt plastic faster for higher print speeds. But as I understand the theory is that it has a larger melt zone for the plastic and thus the temps should be more stable (in theory).

Re. Cork under heat bed - What thickness do you think is best for this? I've found 3mm and 5 mm sheets of 300 x 300 cork. Also there's this cotton Insulation for dirt cheap. I've seen these types on other printers.

Edit: Sorry if this is out of place. This is more getting into the topic of modification and this is the Getting Started category.ย 

Post edited by spooknik on
  • giantrobot2001giantrobot2001 Posts: 106๐ŸŒŸ Super Member ๐ŸŒŸ
    edited May 2020
    I like the idea of a noise cancellation benefit of the cotton's Aluminum foil veneer - seems like a heat bed might be able to cause a little disruption to the circuitry... and it's close to the screen and sd cables.ย  I thought about wrapping them.
    I grabbed one.ย  Ebay for under $3.ย  Keeps the heat and deflects evil rays. Delivery July

Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
    Post edited by giantrobot2001 on