Home JGAurora A5S, A1 & A3S-V2 Getting Started & Troubleshooting

LCD crashing

Hello -

Trying to understand why the touch screen on my brand new (as of yesterday) A5S is no longer working. 

I ended up with a clogged nozzle after a couple of attempts at a print yesterday. I went to change it today and at first, I had no screen whatsoever. I went back over what I did and realized that what I think is a sensor wire wasn't reseated; once I did that, the screen would light up, but only temporarily.

Along the way, I did try to update the firmware via the process I found here. 

Now when I power up, the LCD lights, but for an unpredictable period of time and then shuts down. It is marginally responsive when active and very slow (as in 15-30 seconds to change the screen, no functionality once changed). Once it shuts down, there is no getting it back without powering down.

Curiously, the screen will lit up with power off, and even with the cord to the machine unplugged altogether.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Stephen ToddStephen Todd Posts: 281🌟 Super Member 🌟
    3D printer controller board and screen will operate if you have the printer plugged into a USB power source such as a laptop - but motors and heaters will not have enough power to operate

Are you sure you flashed the correct firmware? There is also A5 firmware which is not the correct one - you need to flash A5s firmware

You need to get the firmware sorted out before you can tell if you have damaged the controller board - if the hot end temperature thermistor has shorted out on the heater cartridge wiring, the controller board may be toast

• Thanks, Stephen Todd for the insight, this is going to be a challenge, I think.

I'll take a look for the A5S firmware and make sure that is what I flashed.

With my luck, it's not going to surprise me if I toasted the motherboard.

Thanks again,

S
  • Stephen ToddStephen Todd Posts: 281🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Even if you used the correct firmware, it may have not have flashed properly - 3D printers are very finicky about SD cards

Maybe re-flash the original firmware to see if you can get back to normal?

Or you could install pronterface, and see if you can work the printer from that over USB

Its a matter of determining if the problem is the firmware, the LCD, or the controller board - my feeling is its the firmware
  • baconCheeseFrybaconCheeseFry Posts: 1Member
    I had a similar issue with my A5S. Eventually I noticed that the power supply cooling fan was not working. I switched out with another power supply I had and everything is working correctly. I don't know if it was specifically the fan that was the problem, or if there was some other problem with the power supply. I had checked the output a couple of times and it was spitting out 24V. I'm guessing that it was dropping down under load.