Homeโ€บ JGAurora A5S, A1 & A3S-V2โ€บ Modifications & Upgrades

Spare Bowden Connectors on Taobao

spooknikspooknik Posts: 19Member
edited May 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades
Hello everyone!
I believe I have sourced from spare bowden connectors from Taobao (Chinese Amazon / Ebay). They cost 0.36 USD.
What's interesting is the thread pitch appears to be 1 mm not 1.25mm:
Description text:

ๅž‹ๅท๏ผšPC4-01 PC6-01
่žบ็บน๏ผš1ๅˆ†๏ผˆ1/8๏ผ‰
PC4-01๏ผš้€‚็”จไบŽ็ฎก4MMใ€‚
PC6-01๏ผš้€‚็”จไบŽ็ฎก6MM

Google translate says:
Model: PC4-01 PC6-01
Thread: 1 point (1/8)
PC4-01: suitable for tube 4MM.
PC6-01: suitable for tube 6MM

No word on if they are M8 or otherwise..though.

They cost 0.36USD per connector.. so I'll grab a few and check them out.

Post edited by spooknik on

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    1mm thread is correct for these printers. It is M8 fine pitch thread. If they are through-bore as well, 4mm tube (PC4-01) then you have a winner!
    Thanked by 1giantrobot2001
    Do you know if they will ship internationally? Is there a minimum order number? :smiley:
  • spooknikspooknik Posts: 19Member
    edited May 2020
    @Samuel Pinches Not sure if the ship internationally... Strangely this seems to be the Chinese storefront for Winsinn which do ship internationally on Aliexpress but they don't have these exact connectors on their Ali store.
    I use a Taobao proxy called Superbuy. They handle the Chinese side of things and forward the parcel internationally. No minimum order number I can see.. normally these types of shops just sell to individuals so lower numbers are expected.
    They appear to be through-bore. The description translates as:
    3Dๆ‰“ๅฐๆœบPC4-01 PC6-01ๆฐ”ๅŠจๆŽฅๅคด็›ด้€šๅฟซ้€Ÿๆ’ๅคด่ฟœ็จ‹็ฎก้“œ้•€้•่ฟ›ๆ–™ๅฃ
    "3D printer PC4-01 PC6-01 pneumatic connector straight through quick plug remote tube copper nickel plated feed port"

@giantrobot2001 - unfortunately that listing does not have a through-bore - there is a hex hole, and the tube does not go the whole way through.
    Just an update, I bought 10 pieces. It'll probably take a month or so to get to me, so we'll have to wait to find out.

I don't even have my A1 yet thoughย  :D They are sold out on the Czech Aliexpress (restock expected the 15th).
  • giantrobot2001giantrobot2001 Posts: 106๐ŸŒŸ Super Member ๐ŸŒŸ
    edited May 2020
    I suppose they could be though-bored with a drill press and a nice jig - going off the original for fitment.
    (and not messing up the insert)
    The ones on ebay are just plain brass, I wonder if that matters...
    Post edited by giantrobot2001 on
  • Laser8302Laser8302 Posts: 170Member, ๐ŸŒŸ Super Member ๐ŸŒŸ
    Hm...
    1/8" pipe thread?
    according to the national pipe thread chart, it's 27 threads per inch which is ALMOST 1mm pitch... (~1.06 threads per mm)

Found this on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/WINSINN-Pneumatic-Fittings-PC4-M10-PC4-M6-1/dp/B077X5PTQ3

I don't know if the one you linked is going to fit, but so cheap it is worth a try!

edited May 2020
    I think those are too big.ย  It has to be M8

and fine thread.

The ebay link I put is M8, and so cheap I thought I'd check them out - and somehow they got sent to me next day.ย  God bless the US Postal Service B) .

Turns out it's not a hex hole, but the hole is smaller inside about halfway, so like Samuel said, the tube does not pass through. I can drill them, but I'm afraid the little brass dust filings are gonna get in the compression mechanism that locks the tube in place. I do not have a loose one to go off of as a reference yet, and so I'm not ready to make one with my drill press.

I checked out the big industrial supply company GRAINGER.COM , it looks like they carry the nickel plated ones (with the hex hole) in a 4mm tube M8 fit.ย  I have a local Grainger supply about 2 miles away, if I had a loose one to take to them to show them the pass-through, I'd go there - they might know, or have a place they order stuff from.
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
    Post edited by giantrobot2001 on
    Trying to find a local source or at least something comparable. I found this:

https://www.grainger.com/mobile/product/SMC-5-32-Brass-Male-Adapter-36W994

5/32" = 3.96875mm ~4mm
    1/16" pipe thread = 7.95mm diameter
    27 threads per inch=0.941 (I checked the existing bowden coupler, it matches a 27TPI gauge)

I'm going to buy 5 of them because my current connector has no more grip... i will let you know how it turns out
    edited May 2020
    Well, it's close. I found it on my phone and then I opened the page up on my computer. It doesn't allow the tube all the way though... It will need to be drilled out.

Granger allowed a STEP file download, so I figured I would bring it into my mount assembly:

Seems to fit nicely, but it might be a chore to tighten in my current setup. I'll have to modify the lip so I can get tools in there and reprint this mount. For now, I'll just sand it down.

Also, for those wondering, here's a section view: (hint, the threading for the M8 screw is ~7.8mm or so. The hole in the heatsink is 8mm exactly in this image)

Post edited by Laser8302 on
    If this doesn't work I'm going to drill out my heatsink to accept a 10mm fitting that can be easily sourced... This has been a PITA trying to find the right connector where I don't have to wait 3-6 weeks for delivery... I broke the one in the heatsink when I went to print some TPU and there was a jam in the hotend that it couldn't push through. My extruder was able to push the TPU with such force that it broke the bowden adapter at the print head... It's got no more grip on the tube.
    Update: The connectors from Taobao arrived at my forwarder today (along with some other stuff I want to test). They seem to match the picture from the store. I'll have them sent out soon and then I can inspect them myself. Connectors: Bottom middle.

I think those couplers look a bit on the too-big side. 1/8" pipe thread is interchangeable with a M10x1 thread. Our hotend has a M8x1 thread.

The couplers I linked above came in and I picked them up from a local Grainger:

I did have to drill it out with a 5/32" drill bit so the tube would pass through the coupler. The stock tube doesn't fit through the hole, but the "upgraed/tighter tolerance" tube I ordered from triangle lab does. (Either their colored PTFE with 1.9mm inner diameter, or the PFA tubing.)

It fits and holds the same as the original connector. I'm going to try a test print in a little bit.
    edited May 2020
    Please confirm with the seller that they are M8, I agree that they look like M10 or tapered 3/8.

This seller also looks like they have the correct connectors available. PC4-01, M8x1mm thread.
    Thanked by 1spooknik
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
    I think you could be right about the ones I bought... the threaded part looks a bit too thick compared to a known M8 one. Either way I'll find out when they arrive.. Worse case I'll have them for the parts drawer :smile:

Thanks for finding those @Samuel Pinches - I grabbed 10 of the ones called "M8X1 Through". Hoping those will be the right ones.ย 

edited May 2020
    Update2: The second round arrived to the Chinese warehouse. They look more inline with the others shown above. Seller did confirm they were M8X1 mm (at least I think so... there's a language barrier).

Nice - those look right! :smiley:
    If you could repost that link for the right ones once you confirm they are good, please.
    @giantrobot2001 I'll do that once I receive them and if they are correct.
    Received the connectors today. My A5S is still on the way... but measurements confirm they at M8 with pitch of 1mm. I'm willing to bet they'll fit.

I ordered them from this page

Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches