Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Modifications & Upgrades

Replacement linear bearings

I'm thinking of replacing all linear bearings in my A5 to better ones, and FUSHI has a set customized for the A5 (4x LM10UU, 1x LM8UU, 1x LM8LUU) on AliExpress.com .  I can see that all sliding rods are the same size of 8 mm on the A5; so I don't understand why in the FUSHI set there are 4 bearings (LM10UU) that are for 10mm rods?  And the description says this set is specifically for JGAurora A5.  Has anyone bought this set for your A5, and it fits?

Comments

• michalko99michalko99 Posts: 153Member, 🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Hi. Yes, Y axis is running on 10 mm rods. X axis has one normal 8mm bearing and one long bearing. On mine I replaced X axis by polymer bearings and there is NO noise from X anymore. My printer is running community firmware with TMC2208 drivers.
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    edited May 2020
    I actually asked FUSHI to put this set together :smile: as I was disappointed with the factory A5 bearings, and I figured others also would be too. The bearing sizes are all correct. FUSHI was the best rated bearing seller I could find on aliexpress, and so far, I have not been disappointed.

Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
  • ToToToTo Posts: 19Member
    Thanks all for your replies. So I checked again with a flashlight, and looks like the Y rods are 10 mm (visually, since I couldn't measure it), and looks like there are 2 bearings on each rod. It seems to me that there's still 2 bearings short in the FUSHI set.  Is this set only for X and Y rods? What about bearings for the Z rods? 

Now michalko99 mentioned about polymer (is it same as resin?), are these as durable as ball bearings, or would they wear out after some period of time?  I can imagine plastic/polymer on metal would make no noise, and this would be another option for me.

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    The Z axis bearings generally do not need replacement.

Different people have different opinions on polymer bearings. I do not recommend polymer bearings myself. I have tried them on a previous printer and while they were quiet, I found they were not as precise.
    Hello. Just to make it clear from my side. I have these in Z axis and one this and one standard length in X axis. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000067116427.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.3aef720cXyNQNF&algo_pvid=1b5811ec-0b52-4fb5-b6e0-54af1cd3d272&algo_expid=1b5811ec-0b52-4fb5-b6e0-54af1cd3d272-3&btsid=0ab6d69f15910674131466220e57b9&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Printer run them for 1360 hours now. When Samuel did not recommended them, I took off metal plate and X belt to check for wobbling. Axis is completely precise after that printing time. There is no noise and except initial coating of grease, I never touched X and Z for 2 years. 

I already know bowden limits, so I am printing at only 55mm/s and quality is excellent. There is no banding on any surface and corners are nice. 

this is my review..My A5 is completely maintenance free for 2 years. I am even still using included USB stick without any issues..

Michal 
    Thanked by 2Samuel Pinches ToTo
  • hombre666hombre666 Posts: 8Member
    Hey guys,
    I was replacing hotend on my A5 and as I was removing the metal plate, I noticed that my bearings are non existent on X axis :)) I was not aware of this problem, so I did not include bearings in my maintenance. I replaced both z axis threated rods and couplers, I upgraded mainboard to skr 1.3..in short, needless to say I had all of the machine apart :)

My question is..is there any way to replace linear bearings on x axis without dissassebling the whole gantry? Any tips or trick toward that end? Or am I Murphied :)))

short answer...No, there is no easy way. You need to disassemble it completely..but if you have skills for replacing mainboard and complete mainenance, this will be about hour of work to perform...