Home JGAurora A5S, A1 & A3S-V2 Getting Started & Troubleshooting

A5S stopping mid print

I have an A5s and recently it has been stopping mid print with no faults and when I check the temps everything is fine. The machine acts like it has been paused but I can hit the pause and resume button on the touch screen and it will move like its supposed to. When I hit the resume button it goes back to the last position it was printing at when it stopped and just sits. I gutted it a few days ago for this same problem and it worked fine after that for a few prints and then back to the same problem. It has also has some issues reading the sd card. Any advice would be amazing!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• giantrobot2001giantrobot2001 Posts: 106🌟 Super Member 🌟
    edited August 2020
    Display or Card Reader cable plug might be loose.   They get pushed loose - careful opening and closing the case. I like to print right through Cura and the USB cable.  Did you try doing a print that way?
    EDIT
    Oh, yea - I've heard they don't read the newer large cards, and the card reader can be fussy about some cards, and also there is a couple posts I remember about rf interference potential on the display/sd ribbon cables, but I know little about that. I am using one of those foil backed bed insulators if they ever ship it to me. I know that would theoretically dampen interference from the bed heater, but I bought it to insulate.
    Thanked by 1suhling85
    Post edited by giantrobot2001 on
  • giantrobot2001giantrobot2001 Posts: 106🌟 Super Member 🌟
    edited August 2020
    I'll bet Samuel would recommend running pronterface and running the log or whatever while you print. If you can't see an issue in the log, still one of the other people here could explain what was executing the moment it stopped if you post it.  But if you can get pronterface going for the diagnosis, it would probably show you most errors and that might help you fix it
    Post edited by giantrobot2001 on
  • suhling85suhling85 Posts: 2Member
    I'll see what I can come up with doing that. I've had trouble getting the printer to connect to the software when it's hooked up via usb so i'd just been running everything off the sd card it came with. Thanks for the advice!!!!!
  • Justinmill5Justinmill5 Posts: 5Member
    Hi, I am also experiencing the mid-print stoppage problem, but do not want to use Pronterface, because I need my computer and cannot have it occupied by a 3d printer for hours on end. Is there another solution to the SD card problem? 
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Welcome @Justinmill5 - have you tried the custom firmware, perhaps it is more reliable for your issue?

Another alternative is to connect to a raspberry pi or similar and print from that, rather than from your PC.
    Thanked by 1Justinmill5
    I'm new to the 3d printing and am learning as I go, but for the rasberry pi option, how would I do that like step from step setting up? Or for the firmware option, how would I do that? 
    Sorry I am new to the 3d printing game. 
    Also, the popup that is coming up on the printer is "feed filament" and there is still a full roll of filament so I'm not sure what the problem is. 
    @Justinmill5 - thanks for providing more information. It sounds like the filament sensor may be faulty. I would suggest you contact JGMaker, as they would be best placed to help you with that issue specifically. I presume you only got the printer recently?
    I got the printer a little over a year ago, but it just started recently. I purchase a raspberry pi and haven't had time to set it up yet, but do you think that may solve the problem, because I saw that it solved many other similar problems to mine. Do you think that would work? 
    I don't think it will solve the issue, but not sure. It would have solved the issue on the A5 printer, but I don't think this will solve it on A5S.
    For a "hack" fix, you might try removing the filament sensor, and taping over it so it is constantly triggered. I don't know if the fault could be the switch, the wiring, or the motherboard.

The custom firmware for A5S works very differently, and ignores the filament sensor all together at this stage.
    So what can I do, because I am not a mechanic and do not know how to fix a 3d printer. Plus the printer is out of warranty so no chance on getting a new one for free, or returning it.