Homeβ€Ί JGAurora A5 & A3Sβ€Ί Modifications & Upgrades

Still troubles with z-axis

MattMatt Posts: 314🌟 Super Member 🌟
edited December 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades
I received the new stepper, and it is surely a good one: indeed I guess that the problem is in the commands of the z-axis, or even the stepper drivers (of the z-axis steppers?). But nobody's able to tell me what's the culprit!
The move commands for x and y axes go good: but when I try to move up or down the z-axis, it goes randomly up or down independently from which button I push! When I try to set all axes at home, the others set well, whilst the z-one goes nut: the steppers vibrate and stop to do it only if I push the stopper!
Today JG sent me a "firmware" (perhaps the original one) and washed their hands, but nothing happens when I try to flash it using for their video
Same when I tried to update the firmware of the lcd, using for the tutorial found in the wiki of this site. Tried also a Cura flashing with the guidelines of the tutes of Sam, but same results: didn't tried with custom firmware for fear to destroy all, and also 'cause I don't own the device that serve to do this task (unless they were palliative).
I'm afraid I'm again in the situation when I encountered the prime issues with this damn printer which nobody can adjust! And as the previous times, I have a wish to drop it from the balcony and buy something less pretending as for the outside, but at least covered by forum/helpdesk and without all these damn issues!

Post edited by Matt on

Comments

• MattMatt Posts: 314🌟 Super Member 🌟
    edited January 2021
    After a month of struggling with mails to and fro, the encharged of JGmaker (now they even changed name) told me that "maybe i is the mainboard. thank you s much".
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Dear @Matt , when you make a new thread for every update, it makes it hard to follow the story of your troubles. You will get more help if your posts are clear about the (a) problem / symptoms and (b) what you have tried so far. Best, Sam
    edited December 2020
    Hi Sam, sorry, but I've lost my temper and compass in going back to this argument. Now I've bought a driver for the z-axis, 'cause instead of buying straightly a mainboard I swapped the y and z axis and I saw that the z-driver was burned. So, I was right in stating that ot cannot be a mainboard's issue.
    Post edited by Matt on
    Hi Matt, well, if the z axis driver was burned, I hope that simply replacing it will fix the issue for you. I do have to wonder what could have caused it to burn out?
    edited January 2021
    Hi Sam. I don't know. They don't know either. They simply supposed that the whole mobo was to be changed: how convenient! They pretended 60 us$ for mobo+drivers already installed, whilst I found the same mobo at 14 us$, without drivers: which btw costed just 80 cents each... So I bought 5 drivers of these:

And now there are the problems: the seller told me this:
    • Hi, this needs to modify the firmware on the motherboard, change the driver name to A4988 or shield the driver option, and then according to the subdivision of the driver you use, plug and unplug the jumper cap on the motherboard to use it.

To which I replied:
    • I need it for a jgaurora a5, which already mounts a4988 drivers. Must I anyway do all this hocus pocus to have it working?

And he answered this:
    • Hi, you need to insert the jumper cap according to the stepper motor drive subdivision table. Thank you.

And added a pic:

All this looks chinese to me. Do I really do this when I have to install the drive?

Post edited by Matt on
    edited January 2021
    The stepper drivers have a hardware configuration options to set their microstepping level. Normally 16x microsteppimg is used. This means that you need 3x jumpers under each stepper driver. Have a look on your existing board to see.

You can flash firmware on any stock MKS gen L board, just follow my guide for A5 on the wiki.
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
    edited January 2021
    Hi Sam. The a4988 drivers are arrived finally. Do you think that they could be mounted as I received 'em, or should I screw something? The firmware is already back-flashed with the original firmware sent to me via email from the JG guy.

Post edited by Matt on
    edited January 2021
    Ok, forget all. This is a total debacle. I substituted the drivers: no tuning on the screw on them, just unpack and plug. Substituted the z, and the y breaks: substitute the y, and the x didn't work anymore: substitute the x, and the extruder don't work. At sum of misfortune, when substituting the extruder, my friend who helped me inverts the side of the pins and burns something inside (smell of burned electronics): i shut it, but as a result, on restart, the display appears good, but the temp appears 0/180 and won't raise up: no axis works anymore.
    I'm fed up, really. This is a nemesis. Now what? Should I have to buy a 44 dollar mobo with all drivers in it? And what if the culprit it isn't the mobo either?
    Post edited by Matt on
    Hey Matt, sorry that sounds like things have gone a bit pear shaped. I would just order another MKS Gen L and flash with firmware. That's the safest / simplest bet to clear the motherboard as suspect. Shouldn't' be $44, should be cheaper than that, but might be more from amazon usa.
    edited January 2021
    Hi Sam. Yes, it is cheaper (15 US$), and coming from Italy, bought on Aliexpress (that is, the same site where there is the JG store whom tried to sell it at 44: drivers included... which cost anyay 80 cents each...). A bulk L-type, same pic of theirs...
    Waiting for having it delivered to me in these days. Once I've got it, I'll put on it the new drivers (the ones which survived of the new batch) and flash it. And cross finger. If it will work, better: otherwise, I'll put on sale on Ebay as a wreckage, 'cause balls will be full enough.
    Really now I'm bored with A5 and their crafters, as much as the prime instinct was to trashcan this "printer" and buy a cheap 300x300 A8: at least I'd spent just 180 euros and I've trashcanned just 180 euros in case of issues, instead of other 350 buying another JG bunk. The second option is to buy a ultracheap a8 and upgrade it to a 500x500, using for pieces bouth on Ali: a last I'd trashcanned just 75 euros and I've engineered myself in crafting a thing. Or I'll gather some intel to make some frankenstein with color lcd, print resume, filament break and even wifi: surely it might cost more than 350, but can you see the satisfaction? At least you might say "ok, it doesn't work, but it doesn't work 'cause of my faults", instead of being sold as a piece or art but being a bunk.
    Though, I cannot surrender to the fact that a printer so nicely shaped like this (or, at least, as it appears to be...) got so many and continous problems (I cannot realize how the z-drivers burned although Ive got the printer latched to a UPC!) and specially that it hadn't endured more than one f*cking year (so weird: they allow just 1year warranty... The rest of the world allows 2 years of warranty on anything...), and that there is still no precise knowledge for any eventual problems like these around, even from whom who produce it (who rather likely try to profit about, though).
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
    Post edited by Matt on
    There's a saying: don't throw good money after bad. I wish you the best in trying to resurrect this machine, or scrap it... either way.
    edited January 2021
    Well, this time the bad looks to be the A5. Anyway thanks.
    Post edited by Matt on