Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Getting Started & Troubleshooting

not extruding anything

davidtriunedavidtriune Posts: 16Member
No filament gets through the nozzle.

I tried exchanging nozzles, setting the temperature to max, changing filaments. 

If I unscrew the nozzle and try to extrude, it should come out like normal right? well nothing pushes through, so is there a clog somehwere up there then?

I tried following directions from https://www.lulzbot.com/unclogging-your-hot-end . I load filament, push for a while and unload, but it doesn't pull any debris out, nor get the nozzle-shape that the picture shows .

Would I have to open up the hot end? The screws seem to be screw glued, so not sure if I should be doing this.

edit: following the wiki page on how to open the extruder. Thanks.
Post edited by davidtriune on

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    If you undo the bowden tube connectors, is the extruder motor working? If it is working, and no filament is coming out, then is the extruder motor grinding on the filament, or is the motor clicking and skipping steps?
    Also, if you touch plastic onto the nozzle, is the nozzle sufficiently hot to melt the plastic?
  • davidtriunedavidtriune Posts: 16Member
    I removed the entire hotend before seeing your post. I found stuff stuck in the PTFE in the throat. Can't push filament upwards through it. tried to remove the throat before removing the set screw (oops)and broke the throat screw with one half still stuck in there. Contacting gearbest for a new extruder.  >_<
    edited July 2018
    Doh!

I did the same thing, and I knew how weak it was, but my heatbreak/throat got stuck in the heater block and I snapped the heatbreak... one of those moments when you wish life had ctrl-z enabled in firmware...  ;)
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
    that sucks, howd you get it out? Ya I meant throat/heatbreak. also do you know if I can use a different J-head for this printer? maybe i could do an upgrade at the same time.
    i didn’t... had to order new heat break and throat from JGAurora 😑
    I’ve seen people do various mods, but I haven’t tried any yet.
    lots of ideas here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/samuelpinches/collections/jgaurora-a5-a3s-parts
    oh ic. how much did it cost you? I just ordered a J-head for 18 USD here (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/JGAURORA-3d-printer-1pc-of-J-head-use-for-A3S-A5-3d-printers/32852158078.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.22434c4dem8TbG) . I knew gearbest takes forever to reply lol.
    I don’t remember - I think $20USD or so? I bought it off the JGAurora aliexpress shop for full price. 
    My x-carriage is ok, thankfully. I only had to replace the heater block, and the heatbreak.
  • seafianseafian Posts: 20🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Hi,
    I imagine davidtriune's problem now having the broken heatbreak residue stuck in the x-carriage or "cool" section of the printhead. There are tools for extracting screws available in hardware stores which look a bit like a left threaded screw. You can feed it into a (drilled) hole of a stuck piece of e.g. a screw and turn it out counterclockwise.

Regarding heatbreak and heater block Amazon offers different sets of these, I don't know how fast you can receive shipments from aliexpress ... for me it takes weeks to Europe
    I ordered some spare throats, heat blocks and nozzles at Amazon ... didn't want to wait that long like for Aliexpress
    https://www.amazon.de/Extruder-Druckk%C3%B6pfe-Aluminium-MakerBot-3D-Drucker/dp/B079L6616D 

Have success in repairing it!
    Thanked by 1davidtriune