Homeโ€บ JGAurora A5 & A3Sโ€บ Getting Started & Troubleshooting

Automatically paused during a build?

Harry XiaoHarry Xiao Posts: 15Member
Hi Guys,

Yesterday I started a build process (gcode generated using simplify3d). It started the build process and after a while (>1 hour) suddenly it pauses. It is not the first time that I had witnessed such problem. I thought it was caused by abnormal temperature but this timeย  I've checked, both the hotend temp and build plate are normal (205C and 66C as I set).

I'll repeat the process and I'll hook up a console and try to find out exactly what happened.ย 
Post edited by Harry Xiao on

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Hi Harry - have you checked the FAQ page on the wiki yet? Might also be the common problem with the filament sensor.
  • Harry XiaoHarry Xiao Posts: 15Member
    edited July 2018
    I didn't. Now I have. Thanks for the suggestion!
    >Problem: Beeping printer or Randomly stopping prints

Now I checked both the cabling and the sensor they are ok. But I do think it's something to do with the filament. I saw some bit of filament debris near the loading motor and I heard some click sound when loading filament. I think I might have been using some old filament and that causes the loading gear to be filled with filament scraps.

I think I need to figure out a way to clean it. I'll try to disassemble it and clean the gear

I'd still suggest trying it for at least one print with the filament sensor disconnected, just to verify the problem still happens. Its a very common issue that many many A5 users have experienced.
    edited July 2018

It's not very easy to disconnect it now. :smile:

Btw, you had to give it to them, it seems that many previous design flaws has been patched.

I appreciate that it is hard to remove, but I still think it is likely to be the cause. In my mind fixing the problem would be replacing the connector with the correct connector, or at least flipping the plug 180 degrees to prevent shorts from being possible... instead they have hot glued it in the wrong position, where it is still possible to short circuit to neighboring pins.
    I see you point. I do have a hot air gun somewhere...
  • AETEKAETEK Posts: 106๐ŸŒŸ Super Member ๐ŸŒŸ
    Hello,
    has anyone checked, if the filament out sensor still works if you put the other way around it? I have my doubts because I have been busy with it for the past few days. I mean, if the printer reacts to missing filament. Unfortunately it is not so easy in this case. But it would be better to start a separate discussion on this topic.

Cheers
    AETEK
    Yes it does, the filament sensor is just a basic switch. All you need to do is ensure the same two pins are connected, but flipping it 180 degrees (around those two pins) works fine.
    edited July 2018
    Yes, the A5 still prints, but will it still recognize if filament runs out then?
    Have you seen it personal?
    Post edited by AETEK on
    Yes, works fine. The lcd cannot fell the orientation of a mechanical switch, it is not a polarity sensitive device (unlike a photosensor switch).
    Hello Samuel,
    unfortunately it is not so easy. I will explain it as soon as I have some time.
    You did not answer the question, whether you checked it yourself or just pass it on as people claim.

Cheers
    AETEK

edited July 2018
    Sorry, I should have been more specific- I did test it myself. I encountered this problem myself with my printer, when I got it in late dec last year. My printer still has the version 1 filament run out sensor.
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
    Hello,
    thank you for the information.
    JGAURORA has changed something again.
    I have the V2 switch and here it is different.
    As I said, I'll go back to it. I need some preparation time.
    AETEK
    Ok, looking forward to hearing your findings! Thanks, Sam
    edited July 2018
    I have sad news. I've ruined my board.ย 

I was trying to break loose the pin and I thought the glue is pretty much off (how wrong) and I pulled and...
    There're 2 very thin wires on the board that linked to the socket was also broken and now hanging (i made sure they didn't short)

The printer still works (can't detect broken filament obviously)
    and, I may have to replace the board if I still want the automatic filament detection to work.
    Any suggestion?

P.S.ย  ย I think jgaurora will ship new product this way. and it's very hard to remove the glue. YOu should use a hot air gun to soft the glue and remove them bit by bit and do not pull the line or you will break the socket itself.

Update:
    I've been printing nonstop for 10 hours. I can now confirm that all my previous problem is caused by this and unhook the pin definitely stops the machine from stop in the middle.
    Oh no!! I'm really sorry to hear that Harry, but, at least the printing problem is fixed!
    Yes the printing problem has gone. To be honest, I'd rather ditch the whole "smart broken filament detection" thing than a faulty one that constantly giving false negative.

But, I'm going to order a new board from jgaurora first thing next Monday morning. Just to have some backup in case there's some hidden problem using this broken board.
    Sounds like a good idea. However, I don't recommend buying the part from JGAurora for $76USD, when the exact same LCD can be bought from other sellers for a mere $31USD.

I do also recommend buying an SD card extension cableย for the LCD, I find that printing off SD cards is more reliable than via USB sticks.

The main motherboard itself, is also dirt cheap to have as a spare too.
    Thanked by 1Harry Xiao
    Hi,
    That the filament out sensor does not work reliably seems to be a more common problem. My A5 did not want to print after delivery, although the plug was properly mounted and glued. I have now found out that there is probably a hardware problem with the filament sensor input. I think I have found a solution. A post about Filament Out Sensor is in progress and will be posted soon.

cheers
    AETEK
  • coolt5coolt5 Posts: 38๐ŸŒŸ Super Member ๐ŸŒŸ
    i just had the same problem and i did broke my filament sensor just like you and i happy that i did . problem solved and i printing again.
    but mine have only 3 pins not 6 like yours