Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Modifications & Upgrades

Motherboard upgrade

demillertimedemillertime Posts: 35🌟 Super Member 🌟
has anyone upgraded their motherboard from mks gen 1.0 to a higher version I.e. 1.4 / 1.5? Wondering if they are swappable and seeing if there is a benefit to pcb mounted motor drivers.

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    This normal A5 motherboard is MKS Gen L. The drivers used are the same, and if they are pcb mounted then they cannot be replaced when they are damaged. What kind of benefit are you imagining?
  • demillertimedemillertime Posts: 35🌟 Super Member 🌟
    They’re just more readily available state side. All the gen 1.0 come from China with longer lead times. Plus you’d think as they progress they make subtle improvements in design 
    I think the other version are a different product line. Their website is in Chinese, but as best as I can tell, the 1.3/1.4/1.5 is a different product than the Gen L.
  • AndreAndre Posts: 16🌟 Super Member 🌟
    If you want to upgrade the controller, why from an 8bit to another 8bit? I ordered an Duet Ethernet clone at AliExpress this weekend (11-11 sale: 78€). Thats an total different experience (I allready have a Duet wifi clone, but the steel housing of the JGAurora will block WLAN, so I ordered Ethernet).

Of course, a little display update also: Amazon Fire 7 (5.Gen, cyanogenmod) as "Touchscreen".
    @Andre
    Sounds interesting! Please keep us updated! Would be great to see some photos or video once you have it up and running!
    Just for Info:
    On black friday in AliExpress you can get an Due Maestro for less than 70€, which is quiet a nice Deal.
     https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bdn8jut6

Main differences between Duet Ethernet and Maestro:
    -Maestro uses TMC with max current of 1.4, Duet Ethernet with 2.4
    -Maestro is limeted to 5 Stepper motor, on Duet Ethernet you can add an expension Board ading 5 more.
    +Meastro also Support 12864 Displays.

All this differences so not matter in an A5, so I definitvly will order an Duet Maestro (Clone) on black friday.

Another good information:
    Someone made an alternative firmware for the MKS TFT to work with the Duet. You need a level-shifter (1€ on eBay). It does not support print from USB-Stick yet, but on a Duet you put your files in the internal micro-SD via network anyway.

So neither a (expansive) PanelDue nor an tablet ist needed to localy control a Duet in the A5. You can reuse the integrated MKS TFT.

Today (Cyber monday) the cloned Duet WiFi is available in AliExpress for just around 87$.
    If you have 50 Coins in AliExpress, you can change them into 5 coupons reducing price by 2$ each 15$. So the price is effectivly only 77$. You also can also add promotion code "Monday" reducing price by another 5$. So a Duet WiFi only costs 72$.
    Same works for cloned Duet Ethernet or Maestro, also the DueEx5

I would recommend the original Duet If you can afford it and use your printer to make money, to support develoment. But If you cant afford the original (yet) or just want to tryout a Duet with RepRap Firmware, you may buy one of the clones. You always can change to original later (and use the clone for tinkering in your next printer).