Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Modifications & Upgrades

Flashing new firmware

Hi,

First question:
In your video I saw no information about removing any connector while flashing the Marlin software.
So, is this necessary or not?

Second question:
I found no information how to flash the firmware for the LCD display.
What must be connected or disconnected?

Greatings from Bavaria, Germany
Bart

Comments

• bargo100bargo100 Posts: 18Member
    My device is a A3S.
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Hi Bart, sorry I did not see your post!

1. I strongly recommend to unplug the 10pin cable when flashing the Marlin software. If there is communication between the LCD and motherboard during flashing, this can corrupt the firmware.

2. The LCD is easy. On the back of the LCD there is an SD card socket. Place the files on the root directory of the SD card, and then insert card into the printer. Turn the printer on, and the LCD will upgrade the firmware automatically. I wish the main motherboard was as easy!

Greetings from sunny Melbourne, Australia!
    Sam
    Thanks, I'll do both this evening.
    I'm really disappointed.
    The firmware for the A3s is a collection of bugs.
    Now the tmperature and heating management is comletely shit. (Sorry, but thats fact.)
    The upheating before printing doesn't function.
    It shows that the real temperatures have reached the nominal temperatures, but this is wrong. The bed heating is out of action completely. The print doesn't start.
    If you turn the power off and on, then you can see the factual temperatures on the display and they are for miles away from the nominal temperatures. It is not possible to start a print with this bug-software.
    I'm really disappointed.

edited March 2018
    @bargo100
    I'm really sorry to hear that... but this is the first I'm hearing of any problems with the A3S firmware! I don't have one, so all I have is what I was able to gather from other A3S members testing it for me. I do apologise, and without having an A3S myself, unless you would like to help me troubleshoot, there is not much I can do. The stock A3S firmware for both LCD and mainboard is linked on the wiki, you will just have to stick with that instead.
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
    Can you help to get in contact with the programmer of this software?
    I think that would be me? Unless you mean the original MKS manufacturer for the LCD, and the Marlin project for the mainboard firmware.
    Could it be a problem with the used u8glib library?
    If so, can you give me the 100% correct library?

Have you watched this follow-up video? 
    I'm happy to provide support over teamviewer and/or skype to help troubleshoot. I'm heading to bed – will message you my email address.
    Hi Sam, did you have removed the bugs meanwhile or do you plan to correct the software in foreseeable time?

There are no known bugs with this firmware. I plan to improve the tuning in a version “D” Firmware that I had hoped to do this week, but haven’t had time to finish yet. 
    A "tuning" doesn't make sense, without removing the bugs.
    There are bugs in the temperatur management!
    With my German English it is a little bit difficult to describe it, but lets try.
    For example:
    When starting to print a part from the usb stick, the device is heating up the the bed to the nominal temperatur.
    When the temperatur is reached it tries to reach the nozzle nominal temperatur, too.
    After reaching the nominal nozzle temperatur the heating for the bed and the nozzle doesn't turn on again.
    The display shows that both nominal temperatures are reached, but the real temperatures are decreasing, because both heaters are off. When turning OFF/ON the printer you can see, that both temperatures are down.
    Mostly the printers behavior is as described, but sometimes a little bit different. Once the printer startet after first reaching the nominal temperatures, but after few centimeter printing line it stopped. The interface didn't accept any command. Only turning OFF was possible.

Obviously on the one side, there is an internal freeze in the temperature management. The one-time reached nominal temperatures are freezed. It doesnt' recognize the real decrease of the temperatures.
    On the other side, the "program starting manager" can see that the nominal temperatures are not given, so a print cannot be started.

I don't believe that hardware faults are causing this problems, because with the original software this problems are not existing.
    But with the original software other problems are existing.
    So my last hope for any senseful using of this shit device is, to find an advanced firmware, which can handle this device.
    edited April 2018
    The tuning in this community firmware is more accurate and has greater safeguards. I recommend connecting to pronterface and checking the log for any error messages. You can also do a PID tune for more accurate temperatures control. PID autotuning and eeprom saving of settings is not possible in the OEM firmware.
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
    ???
    pronterface ?
    PID tune ?

I would like only to print with this device, not to develop printers.
    My cheap Geeetech clone, bought per Ebay for less than 100€, is much more unproblematic.
    I had to improve some mechanical lacks and to adjust some parameters, but in general it runs and runs and runs!
    If you do not want to learn, and you do not want my help, then I do not have any other options for you. You may be best to flash the factory firmware and seek help from the manufacturer.
    I think, I have to use the ripcord.
    I wasted so much time with this shit device. For nothing!!!
    Any additonal hour is an additional wasted hour.
    I thought not to be stupid, I'm a mechanical engineer, but not an information scientist.
    When this "high sophisticated" device with its standard components needs software professionals to make it workung, then I'm too stupid.

When it is not possible to work with a flashed firmware, then it is not worth for me to invest additonal time.

It's easier to use me Geeetech clone,
    It has a primitive outfit, but it works without pronterface and any other software tuning very well.
    Thanks
    I don't think the problem is hard to solve. 15 minutes and I think I could have the answer... up to you!

For you, calculating mechanical stress and strain is easy. For an software engineer, troubleshooting these problems is also straight forward. 
    15 minutes?
    How?
    https://www.teamviewer.com/en/

You install, and tell me the ID and password for your computer. I think in 15 minutes I can install pronterface, diagnose the problem, and possibly have a solution.
    Look at your email.
  • djauroradjaurora Posts: 35🌟 Super Member 🌟
    and... problem was solved ? what was the problem?
     I think the power safety features in my configuration were too aggressive, and were causing problems. I’m gonna send a new firmware in the next day or so to try.
  • HevilpHevilp Posts: 136🌟 Super Member 🌟
    The is in general in your 1.1 8c fw ? Im using it