Homeโ€บ JGAurora A5 & A3Sโ€บ Getting Started & Troubleshooting

Spring supports....opinions?

rhaub101rhaub101 Posts: 89๐ŸŒŸ Super Member ๐ŸŒŸ
I printed these spring supports and while they will work, they are not pretty. I had to print with a brim. Can anybody tell me what I must be doing wrong? All of my prints look this bad. (I sure didnโ€™t expect the learning curve to be this high) Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Would you mind posting screenshots of your printing settings? I could give some suggestions, but seeing your current settings would help.
  • rhaub101rhaub101 Posts: 89๐ŸŒŸ Super Member ๐ŸŒŸ
    I would love to. What settings should send? There are soooo many.
    Can you try take a few screen shots so we can see all of them?
    Hope these settings reveal something. Thanks again
    Does anybody see anything obviously wrong in my settings? Thanks
    A few things I would suggest:
    initial layer height: 0.15mm
    Line width: 0.43mm
    Default printing temp: 205C
    final printing temp: 200C
    Thank you, Iโ€™m eager to try those settings
  • sasasasa Posts: 36๐ŸŒŸ Super Member ๐ŸŒŸ
    Also your print speed is too high. 40 mms will be much better, 30mms for quality prints.
    Leveling the bed again and again really helps (print these knobs now: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3001569 , original will be stripped easily) and in my opinion masking tape on hotbed may significantly improve sticking of first layer.
    to start and end.ย  It will extrude some filament and wipe in on left side of the bed.
    Be warned: if your bed is coming with metal clips installed, remove the front left clip or modify the code to evade scrapping it with extruder

ย Thanks Samuel, your suggestions really helped. I think I'm getting the hang of this.

And thank you sasa, I'll slow down to 40mm/s for my next print. You're right on the bed leveling, it's hard to know just how much resistance the paper should have when you tug on it. I'm going to replace all four screws and nuts with stainless steel and maybe an 1/8 of an inch longer. I also turned the back screws around so the knob is on top. makes it a lot easier to adjust.ย I'll also print those knobs you suggest. I've already added the start and stop codes and LOVE it! (moved the clip to the side and back a little.

Now does anybody know why the print times reported by cura are so much different than the actual print time? For example, my last print was reported by cura at 27 minutes but actually took 41.25 minutes. Seems to be the same discrepancy for all prints. Thanks again!

edited September 2018
    ย The acceleration settings in cura are much higher than the exhilaration settings used by the custom A5 firmware. If you put the correct acceleration values into cura, then it will estimate the time more accurately.

so glad to hear youโ€™re having some success!!!
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
  • jshennjshenn Posts: 2Member
    Attached is a screen print of an article on how to make Cura accurately estimate print time ...
    Thanks jshenn. Iโ€™d like to try this but how do I see what my current marlin settings are?
    Well I thought I had this figured out and Iโ€™m printing small trinkets very well. Soooooo... I thought Iโ€™ll try a big model 255 mm high and nearly front to back. This is the first hours result. Any more help?
    Also, try initial layer speed 12mm/s... then can you please post your current settings again.
    Thanks gentleman for all your help, especially Samuel. I think Iโ€™m having success. Meet Tyranitar, standing 200 mm tall and lethal spikes all around. Not perfect but Iโ€™m still learning. Thanks again!
    ย Looks freakinโ€™ awesome! Happy printing. ๐Ÿ‘