Home› JGAurora A5 & A3S› Getting Started & Troubleshooting

Y axis stuttering

I recently noticed my Y axis is stuttering. So far I've tried the following fixes. Any help would be appreciated.

1. Increased stepper driver cooling 
2. Increased the stepper driver voltage 
3. Printed via several sd cards
4. Printed from my computer via S3D
5. Lubricated the Y axis rods
6. Tried both old and new versions of Marlin
7. Reverted back to A4988 stepper drivers

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Stuttering, could you please show us a video perhaps? It sounds like you've tried everything in the book!
  • luremoldsluremolds Posts: 16Member
    Turns out the Y axis belt was loose. Tightened it up and now it’s running fine!
    Great!
  • stevemastevema Posts: 6Member
    How exatcly did you tighten up the y belt? Some weeks ago I had layer shifting in y, so I opened up my printer as far as I Could without detaching all the cables and tightened up the y-axis belt by turning the 2 screws that hold the belt at the front of the printer. For some time, that did work. But now Im having the same problem again, its even worse... there is only stuttering and the printbed is kinda rattling but not moving anymore. For now I didnt remove the whole upper part of the printer because of the many cables... but I can image that tightening the belts requires taking the printer apart. Hopefully the stepper motor is ok, maybe its only a loose pulley.
    Perhaps the bearings are seizing? Adding some lubrication might help. You can also tune your stepper drivers to give more power to the y-axis motor.
  • stevemastevema Posts: 6Member
    Lubrication didnt do the job, I already tried that. The stepper drivers woked properly for half a year, I didnt change anything except from using the second 5volt output on my board for a fan.
    I can still move my buildplate by hand as I could all the time, there seems to be no seizing.