Homeβ€Ί JGAurora A5 & A3Sβ€Ί Getting Started & Troubleshooting

couple of questions

MattMatt Posts: 314🌟 Super Member 🌟
Hi. Are we sure that the A5 comes by default with a 0.4 nozzle? From what I'm seeing, it rather looks as a 0.2 or 0.3 is mounted. The trail leaved looks very much thin to be a 0.4.
Second: is "extrude speed" the equivalent of the "flow percent" of Cura?
Post edited by Matt on

Comments

• MattMatt Posts: 314🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Nobody knows?
  • seafianseafian Posts: 20🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Hi Matt,
    my A5 came with a 0.4mm nozzle. I noticed that during disassembly and reassembly of the hot end as it was leaking filament on top of the heater block covering the heater block and flowing down at its sides. At this occasion the nozzle and the heat break tube weren't fully tightened against each other. After cleaning and correct setup it worked well again. The 0.4 mm marking was stamped on the nozzle. Doesn't your nozzle have a marking? Exchange nozzles are available for little money, by that you could make sure you have the right one.
    Besides that you should have a spare nozzle shipped with your A5, there you can verify it's size as well.
    Cheers
    Thanked by 2Matt Samuel Pinches
    edited October 2018
    Hi Seafian. I'm afraid that I'm no more able to see the mark 'cause the nozzle is smeared and I cannot discern what's upon with a loupe either. I have an exchange nozzle which came with the package, but doesn't bear any mark on it. It is of this kind:

Must the printer work just with this kind, or any would be good?

Post edited by Matt on
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    edited October 2018
    The A5 is compatible with "e3d v6" style nozzles. Any nozzle that claims to be e3d v6 compatible should be fine. I recommend staying away from "Mk8 and Mk10" nozzles".

e.g.
    Thanked by 1Matt
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
    Ok.
    Is "extrude speed" the equivalent of the "flow percent" setting of Cura?
    @Matt - I think it is. I'm 95% sure.
    Thanked by 1Matt
    edited October 2018
    In effects, no literature exists in JG (or elsewhere) about this and many other things.
    Anyway, I'm having it working finally. It looked just a matter of a combo of leveling, temperature and print-speed+extrude flow (which I set sometimes until 160!!!) coupling... I noticed also that, if the speed is enoughly high (eg 100%), raising the "flow" compensate the difficulty to stick to the bed (which might happen even if I spray some hair lacquer on the plate, if I begin at more that 80% speed...). Ah and... I noticed also that the machine doesn't keep the speeds stated from Cura (e.g. global at 100%, initial at 40%, final at 200%), but invariably starts at 100% each time, forcing me to stay there at the print and change the speed according to the stage, starting from 30-40 for the prime layer and moving onto 50 to 100 (yesterday I go through until 200% for the last layers, and it printed nicely)... I noticed also that doesn't exist any button for the general settings (eg. temperature, speed and so on), such as there are in less sophisticated printers (eg the ones of the I3 offshot, like the one I owned previously). Perhaps some modding might integrate this bad missing?
    For instance, I asked many times if the firmware update would solve just the issues mentioned in the page where it is spoken of (wrong temperature and another problem), or there are many other unmentioned problems which might be solved through it?
    Post edited by Matt on
    I'm actually looking into some Cura profiles. I would like to get the A5 and a few other printers added into Cura. I will let you know if I have success.

The advantages of the firmware update are listed on the wiki page here, but some of these were fixed by later official factory firmware revisions anyway:Β http://jgaurorawiki.com/a5/firmware
    Ok. Hope to read it soon. You convinced me that the machine is a nice piece, though one must be accustomed to use it, besides being a bowden. It would be bad if such a good tech shouldn't be completed as for usability: also 'cause it seems that its producers have no intentions to behave professionally in doing it themselves, leaving it to external developers.
    Yes the attitude of some 3d printer manufacturers is not good. I also realise that by helping people, I am also taking away the reason for them to change... :neutral:

By the way, which Cura version are you using? I found a major bug with 3.5.1 regarding underextrusion.
    1) Agree
    2) I'm with 3.5.1 too. Which bugs?
    2) I found that in some cases it was still using 2.85 mm to slice the files even though I had 1.75 mm selected in my machine settings. I found the solution was to make sure that I had selected a material specifically, in the material manager.
    Hm... I found that issues sprout in Cura specially when they unleash a new release, packed or less with new features (which perhaps conflict with previous options).
    @Matt - I find it very frustrating to keep up with all the changes they make, especially with the lack of documentation, and the large number of bugs. It was one of the things that pushed me to buy Simplify3D.
    edited October 2018
    Well, Sam... I guess that most of these producers (included the ones of JG) must be thankful to people who, like you, have the passion to scrutiny and try to solve the issues of their softwares and/or machines: if only they were aware of you. I guess that they are: though, they I guess avoid or do not feel the need to support or intervene when serious help is needed in ameliorating what they produce. I think that it is as much as frustrating this too.
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
    Post edited by Matt on