Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Modifications & Upgrades

TCM2XXX why should I need Firmware 1.1.9C?

ProkktorProkktor Posts: 146🌟 Super Member 🌟
Hi,
in the Wiki there are 2 text guides linked onhow to install TCM2XXX stepper drivers, both state I need 1.1.9C Firmware for these specific guides.
Other Guides (in this Forum and Da Hais Video) do not talk about 1.1.9C and I cant find any difference between all the guides except Da Hai connects the CS pins differently, but he can change the pins in 1.1.8C so that cant be it...

So what am I doing wrong when following those guides while using 1.1.8C?

Regards,
Martin

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    edited November 2018
     I don't use the TMC myself, so I'm not sure, but the guides on the wiki were definitely written by someone using 1.1.9C. If you want to use 1.1.8C, then I recommend to follow DaHai's guide.
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
  • netzmarknetzmark Posts: 107🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Hi Martin,
    And what way did you choose ?
    It looks I'm at the same step now :-)
  • ProkktorProkktor Posts: 146🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Yesterday i installed 4 TCM2130 (Watterot sells them in a bundle) so far only 3 work.. I hope I can finish that  today...
    edited December 2018
    I plan to install XY 2208 in these days.
    Decided to leave Z (as more current requiring, 2 motors) and Extruder (as not too audible) with A4988.
    Some Watterot Polish factory clone.

Have you stayed with 1.1.8 or upgraded to 1.1.9?
    Post edited by netzmark on
    I stayed.

Its not for the noise alone:
    The original drivers have microstepping problems that are normally solved with TL SMOOTHERS, I think I read that TCM dont have those problems because of the 256 interpolated microstepping. So I will do Z too, but extruder is probably not necessary.
    edited December 2018
    Could you pls to tell me what the currents you have found as optimal for XY using your 2130?
    Post edited by netzmark on
    sorry its christmas

I have around an hour per day for my printer, I am still at cable management^^

Also my X current wont help you because I have a direct drive system now.
    Merry Christmas ;)
  • Der_MuckDer_Muck Posts: 265🌟 Super Member 🌟
    I can recommend the TMC2130 on every motor. Its because of the SPI Mode and ofcause of the quiet mode.

Try the valves X800 Y500 Z900 E450   Keeps every motor in a normal warm level.  
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
    I have connected it all and got it working.

I can inform that 1.1.8 firmware for A5 is not working with TMC2208 connected in UART mode.
    There are few problems.
    First are serial port pinouts aplied mitakenly in pin_ramps.h
    "Not all pins on the Mega and Mega 2560 support change interrupts, so only the following can be used for RX: 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 50, 51, 52, 53, A8 (62), A9 (63), A10 (64), A11 (65), A12 (66), A13 (67), A14 (68), A15 (69)."
    While there is pin 40 used as Rx.
    Here is full and good description about it:

So I have re-mapped the ports in agree with 1.1.9 where are made already properly.
    But it still doesn't work in 1.1.8. I have found later an information that 1.1.8 has some bug about it that was later improved in 1.1.x bugfix.
    Here is a nice quide and information about it in first line under the movie.

Unfortunately Sam is warning to don't use this bugfix. I din't investigate why and how to add this bugfix but reflashed the printer to the 1.1.9 - and it have been worked at once. So it is not so I made some hardware mistakes priorly.

That's all about it...

Sam, could you write what are known and the most important  bugs in 1.1.9 and how I should to fix them to use 1.1.9 without problems?