Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Modifications & Upgrades

Lets go Carbon :O Carbon heatbed mod.

Der_MuckDer_Muck Posts: 265🌟 Super Member 🌟
As I want to mod. different parts of my JG A5, this time it was the heatbed.
The JGs black diamond plate is realy realy good and doesnt need normaly a change. (exept the lifetime is over)

So the goal was to get the full 310x310 as a print surface, get it heat up quicker, get a perfect flat surface, expand lifetime, light weight for a smother print and ofcause a quick change option. 

In the company I work, we have a Evotech (15000€ printer) with a carbon heatbed and quick change.
So my solution should be better and more accurate as that solution, they have.
And in the end, (I tested it for about 1 week and a half) I can tell, all the goals where reached, the quick change is not that quick but it has to go with the accuracy and for that its a pritty good alternative.

The plan for the heatbed is added. The 3mm holes where in the end M3 threads because I want the screws fixed on the plate.

I used a 3mm carbon plate the bed clamps are out of Bakelit / Textolit
The clamps and the bed are screwed with 4x M3x16mm and 4x M3 knob nuts.
The clamps has a 1,8mm step to clamp the plate in the right high. 2 of them has a 3mm hole in it, the others has a 3x11mm long hole in it to get them out of the way for a dismantle or change.

The carbon plate has a kapton tape on it to print on it. So the prints never has an effect on the carbon plate. On the side is 10mm missing because the tape is 100mm wide. Used 3 in a row of them. Bobble free adding is nearly impossible, I hate that tape to apply, its horror pure :D

Here is the result:

PLA and TPU stick very well to it,just cleaned the bed with spiritus.
Other filaments will be come. 

Due the fact that carbon has a negative warm expand value, the carbon plate has a perfect flat surface. No drastic corrections are need for the BLtouch.
As you can see, I have add bakelit isolators/distances. I measured the spring high for every corner and every distance has its own length. (only passible with a IR probe or BLtouch)

Happy printing ;)
Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Very cool B) .... I'm tempted, but the cost of carbon fibre sheet is quite high.

• Der_MuckDer_Muck Posts: 265🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Yes it is but I found a sheet with 500x350 for 31€ on ebay located next to the Austrian German border, thats realy a good price and it took one day to arrive me. They sell carbon plates what are left in the production. Maybe there is a carbon working company around, they have for sure a plate they dont need any more.
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Oh wow... that is a bargain! I may have to go searching :smiley:
    :D yeah than you are in the carbon printing racing league to XD ahahaha ;)
  • itisnot_meitisnot_me Posts: 102🌟 Super Member 🌟
    what about making it a real quick change and using rare earth mags. I mean you would have the create a new mounting system but then it would really be quick change
    For me magnets are not a option, I dont touch the print bed with any force at anytime. When you try to get a surface such a bed, you need to pull it down. The magnets has to be very strong because when your bed has 100° the magnetism loses force.
    I also dont know how to build a magnetic surface which has a good thermal transfer rate by a nearly 0 thermal expansion. There is no propper material for that on the market. Carbon has a negative thermal expansion so it doesnt wrap at all. Steel or kobalt plates are no option for that job. the thermal expansion rate is tooo bad.
    It takes 1min to change the plate, so I would win the race when it gets to accuracy an speed. Every part stay on the carbon plate, you just lose the nuts a little and slip the clamps on the right back, than its free. 
    Our companys evotech for 15000 has a spring clamp to quick fix the bed, thats totaly inaccurate to, there you need force on the bed to and that effect the leveling.