Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Modifications & Upgrades

Question about TL smoothers?

Does it work?  I notice on the Wiki that the print photo doesn't look like it came from an A5...

My printer is in the garage so don't need it quiet.

But would like to get rid of salmon skin.

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    edited March 2019
    It does work very well. I use the TL-smoothers (8 diode, not 4) in my A5, and it almost completely eliminated the salmon skinning. 

A reminder that if you do upgrade to TMC, then you need to remove the TL-smoothers as they are not compatible together.

The photos are not from an A5, but the benchie looks identical to what I saw before adding the TL-smoothers.

Definitely recommended. :smile:
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
  • chilman408chilman408 Posts: 12Member
    thank you/
  • chilman408chilman408 Posts: 12Member
    I bought the pack of 3 from Amazon, which motor do you put the 3rd one on?  Z axis or Extruder?
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    edited March 2019
    I think it doesn't matter for Z. I put them on all axis, but some people seem to leave it off the E axis, I am not sure why. Maybe try E?
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
  • Laser8302Laser8302 Posts: 170Member, 🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Being an electrical engineer, I don't like the idea of putting these diode packs in-line with the stepper motors.

On one hand, they do prevent flyback voltage from the collapse of the magnetic field inside the stepper motor from reaching the adjoining coils and/or the motherboard. On the other hand, best case you are losing 0.7V with 4 diodes, 1.4V with 8 diodes at the stepper motor, making it work harder to accomplish the same goal. Monitor your stepper motor temperature before and after adding these.

IE make sure you re-tune your stepper driver current. It will most likely need to be increased.

If I were to use them, I would put them on just the x and y axis. Those are the motors that move the most. The extruder mostly moves at a constant speed so it shouldn't need one, and Z motors only move at layer changes.