Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Modifications & Upgrades

The Spaghetti Detective

cs2000cs2000 Posts: 56🌟 Super Member 🌟
Yes, this project has a stupid name!

Just stumbled across this when browsing my various tech news sites https://www.thespaghettidetective.com/

It basically uses an Octoprint and the RPI camera coupled with some machine learning to detect 3d printer spaghetti, when the print fails and you get that damn rats nest of PLA everywhere. It can then alert you via email (or txt if you live in the US) and if it gets to a certain level it can even pause the print for you before you get a chance to manually review it and over-ride if its a false positive.

You can self host if you like, but you NEED a windows pc/laptop to do it due to the image recognition routines being CPU intensive. But the great thing is that during the BETA phase, they've opened signups to their hosted platform for the next 2 days which means no need to self host and its free for the time being!

Even looking at their pricing, once the service exits beta, there will always be a free hosted tier, with paid plans starting at $2/month. The free tier supports up to 1 printer (Unlimited during beta testing) and The first 5 print hours each month will be monitored. If it seems good, the $2 a month tier looks to be pretty competitive.

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Very cool idea!
  • cs2000cs2000 Posts: 56🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Been running this on my Octoprint instance for a while now, but due to my recent printer hardware issues, ive not had much printing time until this last week or so. Well, the Spaghetti Detective actually saved me a whole heap of mess yesterday. Looked at my phone as i had an email come in and saw this 

The print had been running for around 2 hrs perfectly fine, initial bed adhesion looked good, so i went shopping in town with family. Several hours later you can see the part warped, badly, there was a layer separation around 30% of the way through what had printed, and then later on the entire part came loose from the bed likely caused by the extreme warping and the spaghetti had started. The print job was immediately paused and i was pinged the above email (the bed heat stays on so you can resume if its a false alert with minimal issues).

I obviously pressed cancel which saved me cleaning up a HUGE mess of ABS when i returned home several hours later.

Seriously, if anyone is running an Octopi with a camera setup, for the grand price of £0.00, this is a deal you cant best! Install the plugin, get it configured and have another layer of safety for long running prints :)

I know the cause of my warp is printing in a cool environment (clearly, in my garden shed) with no enclosure, something il be sorting out at a later date when time allows.
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    I'm impressed... that is very cool!