Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Getting Started & Troubleshooting

Sometimes filament is not going properly out

HevilpHevilp Posts: 136🌟 Super Member 🌟
Hi,

After I changed to the TMC2130 I got sometimes a problem. While it is printing , the filament motor tries to pull the filament but there is like a stop it jumps back and makes crack Sound.

I can fix it when I head up to 220degrees and push the filament over the LCD. The Sound comes often but after a while, It is working.

Because I made some changes I thought I broke the ptfe tube but I removed the filament and pulled some other im wrong direction inside without problems  

What could it be? 

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
     It may be that the retraction speed is too fast, or maybe the stepper motor is running at a current that is too low and is missing steps as a result. 
  • HevilpHevilp Posts: 136🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Mhhh, its Not a mechanical fault? It only happens when I do a hardware change and it seems to be independent from retraction, since it happens only with extrusion too
    It’s hard to say for certain.
  • djauroradjaurora Posts: 35🌟 Super Member 🌟
    hmm, i changed all stepsticks to TMC2208 and silent is now! i hear only fans, but sometimes have he same problem with extruder motor. Sometimes jumps back. I was watching motor about hour when printing and saw, that this is not retraction problem. Jumps back when printing. not when retract. And, i think that problem is, as Samuel Pinches said: " stepper motor is running at a current that is too low and is missing steps as a result". I set voltage as here: 
    X = 0.4 - 0.55V 
    Y = 0.4 - 0.6V
    Z = 0.7 - 0.85V
    E = 0.5 - 0.6V
    My settings is near lower voltage. But this settings is for stock A4988 stepper drivers only. And I think, that must be increase. I will made this changes when i will install additional cooling in rear cover
    You think I should adjust the potentiometer at the stepper driver for extruder?

I think that is the first thing to try. Vref for TMC2208 should be up a maximum of 2x the Vref for the original A4988 stepper driver. If the current is too high, the steppers will overheat and skip steps again. I would suggest around 1V for X & Y, and 1.2V for Z. I have not tried any measurements, this is just a rough suggestion.
    edited April 2018
    I got TMC2130 v1.1, is the problem still the same? I thought there is no need to change the voltage for the TMC2130. Ofc I will take a look at the Z and Extruder stepper driver voltage
    Post edited by Hevilp on
    You need to set the current somewhere. If you are using TMC2130 wired up with SPI you can set it through gcode commands. But you need to check the current limit setpoint.
    edited April 2018
    I wired it up with SPI (Dahais Video).

How do I check the limit setpoint? Is there something in the wiki?

I cannot find the gcode for setting the current. I do not have any exp in this :/
    Post edited by Hevilp on
    Unfortunately I have not tried SPI mode, so I don't know! That's why its not in the wiki :wink: 
     Maybe have a play with the M122 gcode command? http://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/M122.html
    edited April 2018
    @Samuel Pinches  here you can see the jumping extruder

On z and extruder I got the default stepper driver. Which voltage I need to set up on the stepper driver? How Do I measure the voltage? The driver needs to be installed for it? 
    Post edited by Hevilp on
  • djauroradjaurora Posts: 35🌟 Super Member 🌟
    today i increase voltage from 0.58v to 0.760V and now all working fine, no jumps back, no missing steps, motor temp is normal, max i measured about 29 celsius. Problem for me is solved. But i must noticed: i using TMC2208 steppers, and current for other sticks can be other.