Home JGAurora A5S, A1 & A3S-V2 Getting Started & Troubleshooting

Cant update firmware. Error message.

Error I'm getting..

Arduino: 1.8.9 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

Sketch uses 147670 bytes (58%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253952 bytes.
Global variables use 5133 bytes (62%) of dynamic memory, leaving 3059 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8192 bytes.
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer
An error occurred while uploading the sketch

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

i unplugged the LCD panel like instructed.. Would this be effecting the upload? Thanks for any help you can provide..
Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches

Comments

• ApocalypseApocalypse Posts: 28Member
    Also my A5 is different than in Sam's how to videos.. may be a different set up?
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    edited May 2019
    Hi @Apocalypse you may be surprised to hear this, but you have an A5S, not an A5! The A5S is a newer model - I also have a video about it on my channel. We do have a beta custom firmware available - I recommend checking out the jgaurora wiki.
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
    hahahah yeah i guess i do.. I also wanted to not here that i have not even tried to print anything yet as i found out my bed wasnt level when i tried to level it. it sits high in the middle. I went straight to trying to do this mesh bed level trick so that when i do run prints, they turn out the best they can.
    I'd suggest to try levelling the centre, and trying a small print there first :smile:

i will try. The only thing is, i bought this to do larger prints so if my bed isnt level, im dead in the water. I will attempt a print thought from the center just to make sure I have good communication from my pc to my printer and let you know.
    edited May 2019
    For sure - it would be useless if that wasn't possible. Once you've had a print success, then I would suggest to try the A5S custom firmware, and do the mesh bed levelling process. Perhaps try measuring how much warp there is - and contact JGAurora if it is excessive (>0.3mm).

Good luck :smile:

So its printing but very..... badly... hahaha

So I got it to print.. for some reason when it goes to print and extrudes the pla, the pla drags all the way over to the point so I had to quickly nab it with tweezers before the print head got to the center. It got half way through the print and the print came off the bed. But at least I know it prints.. I'll have to read more on the adhesion aspect.. 

That’s still a good start 👍
    Ok good adhesion this time around. The print came out really good actually! So it IS capable of an good print... now to get a whole bed experience? I'm gonna lean on you, Sam. What do I have to do?
    edited May 2019
    Ok, great! Looks good. 

I would start with trying the custom firmware - its not as pretty graphically, but it will let you perform a full mesh bed level. You will also need to add the command M420 S1 to your starting code

You might find this video helpful: 
    So the A5s doesnt have the same custom firmware as the A5? I used to have a rigidbot back in the day that i tinkered with (it was a frustrating machine) but coding eludes me. What is the difference in the 2 machines?
    You're right, they look the same externally but internally the motherboards are very different.

The A5S has a 32-bit motherboard, which is more powerful. The steppers on the A5S board are better than the A5, but the downside is that they are not upgradable. Both printers run Marlin firmware, and the custom firmwares are built using very recent versions of Marlin, while the factory firmware are based off much much older versions. The A5 LCD is a separate module (with its own separate LCD firmware too!) while the A5S LCD is controlled directly by the main firmware.

I've got a review of the A5S on my youtube channel too if you're interested. Overall the A5S print quality is noticeably better out of the box, and the frame is more rigid thanks to a few extra screws in the sides of the printer.
    so would you suggest i try to do a BTtouch set up on this machine for leveling and leaving the firmware as is?
     No, I just recommend using the custom firmware, doing the mesh bed levelling, and from there should be pretty stable, you shouldn’t need a bltouch.
    to address your video reviews (because i havent hahaha) i have watched them and subscribe to your channel so thank you for being honest. I pretty much consider myself a newb at any of this as i had a lot of automated help with my printer i had before years ago. As your video review of the A5S, i got this to just print things (cosplay, hobbies, etc) so im a little hesitant when it comes to custom firmware and mesh bed leveling because of my lack of code knowledge. Is there a link to maybe an easy "how to" section or videos on how to do all of this without royally messing things up? Every time i watch videos on mesh bed leveling there is a lot of G-Code inputs and such and without knowing a whole lot about all of that, my head spins a little.
    Also, the only program i cant get to connect to my printer is Simplify3d.  Are there known issues with that? i tried following some videos and adjusting my baud rate but nothing seems to help.. Cura connects but lays a strip down on the front of my build plate and then stops. Any ideas?
    edited May 2019
    Tried printing something a little larger and the edge was lifting dramatically.. bed was 60 and nozzle was 210. I noticed this a little on the cube I did prior on the raft on the same side.. what do you think is going on there?
    Post edited by Apocalypse on