Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Modifications & Upgrades

Overkill modification, is it even possible?

Okay so I'm looking to modify my printer to obscene ammounts. 

This comes in two parts. One I'm going to do now, which provides auto-leveling, octoprint, more safety (possibly), a camera+harddrive for the pi, LEDS (because it's currently pretty dark where it's at) and experience for part two.

Part two adds ABS+Possibly other filaments to be easily printed (Ideally I'd get bamboo and metal filament but I'm trying to stay realistic), an enclosure for this, more fan ducts+fans, a better (like mean well or a spliced high grade computer PSU) power supply, possibly a better file system (more harddrives?), touch screen for pi, more nozzles, possibly a better print bed.

My question is simple. Is this even possible.

Here is a full list of what I'm asking to put on the printer.

= 3D Printed Upgrades. Things like PI Housings, fan ducts, better feet/stabilization and an overhauled leveling system (new/better screws) 

-This included multiple files that I'm going to be printing, as well as several storage addons and customization areas that I'm going to also be working on. 

= A rasberry Pi. I'm unsure which model to get. It'll be doing all of the below. 

-Octoprint, with slicing and plugins for various things

-Small File Server, I have a few harddrives and SD cards that I'm going to use to store my models "off site" (aka I can take 400 printable things with me if I take the printer somewhere) this is either going to be a high capacity USB stick, a SDD, or an HDD. I have all three and will use whatever I think is the best. 

-Camera, possibly a mic depending on what camera I use. This will be able to record things on the printer, as well as in general. Will get turned on when printer is turned on, and will be sending live feed into the internet/harddrives. To be used for content creation like gifs or youtube videos.

-Possible integration with a touch screen, or the printer itself. I'm pretty lost in this area as most screens I've seen clamp super near the board, but I can always extend those. I'm %90 sure octoprint actually controls the printer, I just don't know exactly how (other than gcode) and to what extent.

= BL Touch sensor, currently I have a dial gauge and mount waiting for me at home. BL touch is mostly for mesh leveling tho as currently I cannot use my entire build plate.

= Enclosure, no clue how to build this yet, but I've seen devices that integrate onto the raspberry pi so maybe I have some sort of controllable heating/cooling element mixed into this enclosure. Also this is not just a box that sits ontop, but I'm most likely going to mount the user controls to the outside of the box, and mount the printer permanently (ish) to the enclosure. 

= Stepper driver upgrades, as well as a few more "printer" aspects of this entire thing. I've heard that different various hardware pieces make this printer quieter. I only want the sounds of the printer to be heard within the enclosure, unsure what other things I can upgrade in this area.

= Power Supply, to be frank, anything works here... I just want to say that it has a better power supply. That's %70 of the reason but if I could also somehow make it safer and more efficient I would in a heartbeat. I'm thinking of sticking a meanwell into it and calling it a day. 

Hopefully I'm not leaving anything out here, and from my understanding this is the largest upgrade anyone has done. 

Here are my main questions.

1. Can a rasberry pi even run an FTP server and octoprint?

2. How much wiring will interchange between the two systems (the pi and the printer)

3. Will I need more cooling JUST from the Pi and the Harddrive

4. How, if at all, can I reroute the cables here? I'm down to re-do most of the connections.... if I have to, but I've been inside it once and it's already a bit of a mess.

5. What do I build the enclosure out of? My mind goes to metal/wood and Styrofoam, but I'm unsure. 

6. Can I run EVERYTHING off of one powersupply/wall outlet or will I have to use two plugs. This includes one outlet for the enclosure, raspberry pi, hard drive and lights, which already have their own plug but that's okay.

7. How much access do I need to everything once it's done. I'm already going to run an SD card slot extender into the LCD panel, and extend EVERY IO on both the printer, and the raspberry pi, but do I need to do anything else? My big question is that after everything is running without problem, will I ever need to go back up inside it?

8. Without upgrading the board of my printer (because that seems like an undertaking I'm not ready or willing to do yet) how much of a printing improvement will I see over stock? I've already seen a lot just by updating the firmware.

9. How much software/coding will be involved? I'm assuming I'll be doing some, but not a whole lot because a lot of what I'm doing is just re-doing something someone else has already done, or integrating it into my printer.

annnd 10. I'm probably forgetting things here and will update in the future through the comments section, but I'm going to be documenting every step of this outside of what I've already done (just updated the firmware) how interested will any of you be in that?
I'm not an expert at editing videos, but I plan on doing fully guides for this when I get the chance, as well as fallowing up with a post on here, and a few other places. Just trying to judge interest.  

Also if you have any part recommendations (be it actual parts or files to print) let me know. I haven't included prices yet because I haven't chosen individual things (aside from the dial gauge which was on amazon for $20) so I'm still looking for the specfic recommendations there. 

Comments

• cs2000cs2000 Posts: 56🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Well, you certainly have many plans!

1. Can a raspberry pi even run an FTP server and octoprint?
    Yes, absolutly, you can get the OctoPi image, then install an FTP server on that too, thirs plenty of them out there that support the Pi. Best not to go with a PiZero though, go for a full fat RPI 3

2. How much wiring will interchange between the two systems (the pi and the printer)
    Depends on your plans. In terms of pure printer control, a single USB cable. If youre adding things like lights, camera, mics etc (controlled by the RPI) there will be more wires, but i guess these wont interface with the printer, they just mount too it.

3. Will I need more cooling JUST from the Pi and the Harddrive
    IMO, no, youll be fine.

4. How, if at all, can I reroute the cables here? I'm down to re-do most of the connections.... if I have to, but I've been inside it once and it's already a bit of a mess.
    Id start be creating a map/drawing on paper with everything you want to install, the work our cable routing. It may be best if you mount as much as you can outside of your enclosure (for ease of maintenance) but i understand this negates part of your plans.

Also worth undoing the A5 and cutting all the cable ties and re-doing the wiring routes, some of them are just odd from the factory!

5. What do I build the enclosure out of? My mind goes to metal/wood and Styrofoam, but I'm unsure. 
    Depends on your preference. Most enclosures consist of 3d printed parts and Perspex. SOme people go for full metal (for fire containment) some go with wood and perspex. Personal taste affects this more then anything else.

6. Can I run EVERYTHING off of one powersupply/wall outlet or will I have to use two plugs. This includes one outlet for the enclosure, raspberry pi, hard drive and lights, which already have their own plug but that's okay.
    You could do that. The RPI will use at max, 4 watts. The lights (assuming LED) will be around 5-10 watts absolute max, and the HDD is tiny in terms of power usage. Assuming you have a way to use the internal PSU's 24v power using some kind of buck power supply, youll be fine in terms of pure load.

7. How much access do I need to everything once it's done. I'm already going to run an SD card slot extender into the LCD panel, and extend EVERY IO on both the printer, and the raspberry pi, but do I need to do anything else? My big question is that after everything is running without problem, will I ever need to go back up inside it?
    Sorry, no experience in this department.

8. Without upgrading the board of my printer (because that seems like an undertaking I'm not ready or willing to do yet) how much of a printing improvement will I see over stock? I've already seen a lot just by updating the firmware.
    I dont think you'll see any/much improvements in terms of quality, but because you'll be able to regulate the build chamber temperature, have no air movement etc, youll see an increase in consistency, especially with ABS. The BLtouch bed leving will also help with this. So yeah, more consistency i think will be the real outcome of this project.

9. How much software/coding will be involved? I'm assuming I'll be doing some, but not a whole lot because a lot of what I'm doing is just re-doing something someone else has already done, or integrating it into my printer.
    SOme, but not much, Octoprint already works really well and has a hiuge library of pluging for things such as camera support (even dual cameras), controlling printer power supplies, lights etc. YOull have to obviously set Octoprint up and design your electronics around what the plugin "expects". Most of your coding frustration is going to come around the FTP, those things i hate setting up!

annnd 10. I'm probably forgetting things here and will update in the future through the comments section, but I'm going to be documenting every step of this outside of what I've already done (just updated the firmware) how interested will any of you be in that?
    Of course, we wouldnt be here if not!
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
  • cs2000cs2000 Posts: 56🌟 Super Member 🌟

One thing to add, I designed this enclosure a few weeks ago, but I have had printer issues for a while, plus my chosen location doesn't have room for this enclosure as it stands and I haven't had time to really take a look at what I can do to make it so it fits, so I haven't printed it.

The printer sits in my shed (plenty of dust around) so I do need to get this done at some point to make my prints more reliable.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3618063

But you're welcome to give it a shot if you'd like.

• Der_MuckDer_Muck Posts: 265🌟 Super Member 🌟
    I have that all on my JG, exapt the LEDs, and the HDD. I only need a LED flash light to set up a new filament setting, after that, I know that my printer will print well :D 
    A HDD isnt need because you can work over a cloud or set up a server by using octo or repetier, the last one I am using.
    Everything is passible but much work, specialy the enclose and of cause it cost a lot.
    It always depends what you wanna do with your JG and if it makes sense for you.

Never change everything at once, you will come to hell when you finished your work and the printer isnt printing any more. 

The best mods you can do is, change the original hotend to a E3D V6 all metal hotend maybe the 500°C setup with capricon tube and a bondtech extruder or a clone of it. That will boost your printquality totaly. Ofcause with a other coldend fanduct and better cooling fan. Ofcause a ABS fanduct would be a minimum, nothing beats my Metalheart3000 XD ahahaha     The carbon print bed is also great, try to reduce the weight if the printbed, that is also perfect for printquality.

Be aware, the more mods you do, the more experienced you have to be, it always gets harder to set the settings.
    Why? Because on that way, you are the only one who has that modded printer and when you have problems its very very hard to help. Nobody knows your system and knows what you did and how you did it.
    Than it comes to firmware setting changes, I changed nearly every setting in the firmware, not only 2-3 times maybe 50 times to get a good balance and temperatures on the stepper.

I dont like the idea of an total enclosure so I made a special semi closed enclose which is closed 40mm over the ground and let the lower part of the printer cold. I will add a foto when I finished it. Need to install the doors.

All in all, its passible to do a total make over but the way is hard.
  • Der_MuckDer_Muck Posts: 265🌟 Super Member 🌟
    OK, :D after I wrote that, I add LEDs in my enclosure. :D Just overkilling is the way haha

All in all you have to know what your technical skills can handle. If you are a allrounder, you can get it done.
    It just needs tonns of nerves, skill, money and most of it, time.
    At the end, you turn your low priced printer in a high quality printable printer.

I can confirm, ABS is only realy printable with a enclosure. It is passible to print without it but you will never get any good layer adhesions. I can tell you, I have done very much breaking tests.  
    Also only 10% fan in the enclosure has the effect like printing without it.  So that would be a good tuning but keep the cooling of the under section in mind.
  • GrayCountertopGrayCountertop Posts: 38Member
    Apparently now I need a new print bed as well. Unsure if I should just go with one of those magnetic plates or replace the entire bed. 

Left a print on the printer for like 8 days because I went away, it broke into pieces trying to get it off, printer needs to be re-leveled (Here to see how I did it the first time actually. Really just documenting it for my future self as I seem to be the most productive when I'm drunk and then don't remember anything at all) now because I guess it extruded way too close to the bed, like a bunch. The stepper motor kept making a clicking noise and now there's a whole small flake of the bed missing. 

It actually looks angled, I wouldn't be suprized if it took some glass with it. 

Small flake and all, but I simply cannot live with this burden. 

About rounded ness, I'm chasing after my dreams to be able to make anything, this is the only printer I plan to have around for a while unless I wonder upon something for super cheap. So I want to make it mine, as well as learn as much as I can about it. 

I might name it grandpa's tractor and then just refuse to upgrade forever tbh.

Thank you very much to CS2000 ur the best, I wish u the best, thanks for being you. 

Also Der_Muck, you've been so helpful on so many posts. Thanks again!

I guess I'll order a cheap magnet bed off of amazon for the time being. I'm just trying to mount this dial gauge so I can at least attempt to use the whole bed. I hate bed leveling and sat on 5 printers for like 8 months because of this. Lost all of them and then got this one... So maybe I've learned my lesson? I don't know we'll see if I update this thread ever again lol. 

So yeah, apparently I can do everything I'm asking to do. Horray! Now all that's left is to figure out a way to make money off of this printer. I've had a lot of experience making high quality art and props before, so I might go that route, I don't know yet. 

But thanks again to everyone here!
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Thanks for sharing your journey @GrayCountertop - that's certainly a disappointing turn of events :disappointed: but following to see where things go from here :wink: