Home JGAurora A5S, A1 & A3S-V2 Modifications & Upgrades

Filament loading

SparkSpark Posts: 49🌟 Super Member 🌟
All my other printers load filament from the top down.  Is there a way to change this printer to load the filament from the top down?  That way I can use the system I already have a setup where I have a bunch of rolls of filament on a rod above the printer and then just choose a color.  Right now I have to take the roll off the bar to use it. 

Comments

• SparkSpark Posts: 49🌟 Super Member 🌟
    So I think I am going to work on this - I am going to flip the extruder around and make a clip in fusion to hold that GIANT cable out of the way.  I have to see if the extruder is then going to be pushing the filament the wrong way that will be the trick...  My motor that loads the filament is pretty icky anyway..  it gets stuck a LOT on the initial load and makes load grinding noises...  It also leaves grooves in the filament. 
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Good luck, I’m looking forward to following along!
    So, I flipped the extruder - easy to do VERY easy to do.  I have not done anything yet to make it look good but it prints just fine! I have done several prints and it seems to be the exact same.  I will need to think on a solution to make it look more aesthetically pleasing but I am pretty happy with the flip.  Now I can leave the rolls all nice and lined up. 
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    You make it looks easy :smiley: nice work.
    Things have been working pefectly. Did a couple 40 hour prints no issues.  I just had some weird clicking noise happen today.  I don't think it is from the flip - but i don't know why it is doing this. https://photos.app.goo.gl/pBY4WZ8Nft9zrk8i8
  • JayJoeJayJoe Posts: 34🌟 Super Member 🌟
    edited June 2019
    I got clicking sound from my extruder motor as well, especially first layer.
    If it isn't that often, I would just ignore it.
    If I'm not mistaken, the clicking sound is due to the nozzle being too close to previous layer. So, the extruder motor faces some difficulty to extrude the filament, and causing itself to rotate backward (thus the clicking sound) a bit.
    What I did was trying to reduce flow rate or increase layer height. 
    Post edited by JayJoe on
    Thanks!!