Home JGAurora A5S, A1 & A3S-V2 Getting Started & Troubleshooting

Extruder got pushed up and is now uneven

Something went wrong and the printer started extruding filament when it was in the home position. I was asleep and a glob of filament got under it. It pushed the extruder up and now is too high. I had just gotten the printer yesterday. I heated up the head and got the glob off, but the extruder still is too high. How would I go about fixing it or contacting customer service?

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    edited June 2019
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
  • poopympoopym Posts: 9Member
    That isn't the problem. I think the extruder is leaning to the right. 
    edited June 2019
    It looks like the whole x axis is wonky. I think you need to turn the printer off and manually turn the left lead screw to lower the left side. You may need to hold the right side so it doesn’t move.
    Thank you! That ended up working perfectly. However... I have just realized I've messed my printer up horribly. There is a buildup of filament all around my heating block, as there was a blob of it on there. I decided to go in and clean it up. I see these small little bits attached to the block that kind of look like filament that had dried and so I tried to remove it by cutting it. Right as I had done that, I realized I had fucked my printer. I just cut the sensor wires. I am currently in a panic and don't know what to do. Do I buy a new heating element? Where would I buy one? Do I just return the printer? Do I contact warranty? 
    Ok, first - don't panic. Everything is fixable. Normally, the easiest way to clean up something like that is to heat the extruder, and just wipe everything with a tissue.

Can you post a photo? Which wires were cut?
    sorry for the late reply! I have bought replacement thermistors, so everything should be okay. After I replace the thermistor, would I have to do anything on the software end? Also, I think I did something wrong when switching out my nozzle. There was leaking. I'm not sure why it was like that. 
    As long as you replace the thermistor with a 100K thermistor, the temperature measurements should still be fairly close to the old values.
    edited June 2019
    If its leaking, it could be the nozzle is not tight enough. If you look up into the heatbreak from underneath, the nozzle should be tight against the heatbreak, NOT tight against the heater block. May have to adjust the heater block position, and retighten the nozzle when hot.
    I have a problem. I cannot remove the plate covering the wires to the thermistor without heating the block, as there is plastic on it. However, I can't heat up the block without the thermistor.
    edited June 2019
    Side cutters, xacto knife and nail clippers? Or perhaps a heat gun?
    Tried cutting it off, but there was too much. The heat gun might work, but I don't have access to one.
    edited June 2019
    Fly a little close to the sun? Sorry, I don't have any other safe suggestions. A heatgun should be pretty cheap at your local hardware store - Loew's or Harbor Freight in Metairie?

Or a soldering iron with a tip you're willing to sacrifice... (with good ventilation!)
    I managed to take it out by splicing in my new thermistor and heating the block. There was smoking as the old thermistor started burning, but all is fine. A huge chunk of plastic fell out too, so :) 
    What's the best procedure for cleaning a nozzle? I have 2, and both of them are pretty dirty. 
    I don't have any magic tricks... only thing I can think of is a oven with a self-cleaning feature (pyrolytic). If you can keep the nozzle inside during that process it will probably have the same cleaning effect on the nozzle. Normally I just spend some time with tweezers and box cutter.
  • ThingsNSchtuffThingsNSchtuff Posts: 23Member
    for you axis issue, check out this post. https://jgmakerforum.com/discussion/734/problems-with-z-axis-movement-for-a5#latest
    for your tip issue, chuck em. Grab a kit of spares on amazon like these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MK6TBZS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PHZNMWD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    oh and dont forget a set of socks like these
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BTCVSRM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I pretty much only use the stainless ones because they are resilient, and the socks i linked are the best that i have found so far. Most of them require a quick snip or trim to make them fit just right, but these have not broken down nearly as fast as the other socks that I have tried out. 

If you are really dead set on cleaning them, you have to do it hot. Heat em up in the hot end at slightly above your filament temp, and scrub em with a "like-metal" wire brush. (bronze on bronze, stainless on stainless. You can use a pair of pliers to hold em while its hot. To get the junk out of the inside i have found that heating them up and stick a small piece of filament in helps. 

heat it up until is goopy, then stick the filament in. Let it cool until its just barely too hot to hold and slowly pull the filament out. At this point it is melty enough to come out, but thick enough to stick to the little bit of filament you put in there and often comes out like a booger. Whatever you do though. DO NOT USE TIP CLEANERS on your brass nozzles. They will widen the extruder nozzle and leave you troubleshooting under extrusion for days. (Guilty : )
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
  • ThingsNSchtuffThingsNSchtuff Posts: 23Member
    for you axis issue, check out this post.

https://jgmakerforum.com/discussion/734/problems-with-z-axis-movement-for-a5#latest

for your tip issue, chuck em. Grab a kit of spares on amazon like these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MK6TBZS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PHZNMWD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you really want to go buck wild they also make ruby nozzles that are basically good for any filament

oh and dont forget a set of socks like these
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BTCVSRM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I pretty much only use the stainless ones because they are resilient, and the socks i linked are the best that i have found so far. Most of them require a quick snip or trim to make them fit just right, but these have not broken down nearly as fast as the other socks that I have tried out. 

If you are really dead set on cleaning them, you have to do it hot. Heat em up in the hot end at slightly above your filament temp, and scrub em with a "like-metal" wire brush. (bronze on bronze, stainless on stainless. You can use a pair of pliers to hold em while its hot. To get the junk out of the inside i have found that heating them up and stick a small piece of filament in helps. 

heat it up until is goopy, then stick the filament in. Let it cool until its just barely too hot to hold and slowly pull the filament out. At this point it is melty enough to come out, but thick enough to stick to the little bit of filament you put in there and often comes out like a booger. Whatever you do though. DO NOT USE TIP CLEANERS on your brass nozzles. They will widen the extruder nozzle and leave you troubleshooting under extrusion for days. (Guilty :wink:
     )