Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Modifications & Upgrades

Bowden Extruder

I've been having extreme trouble with the A5 Bowden extruder. Continually slipping and stopping because it thinks it out of filament. I cleaned and tightened everything down, including the filament out sensor. I changed the hot end nozzle and throat to eliminate clogging as a problem. It works for a couple of prints and then right back to the issue again. Has anyone changed out the extruder and if so, what did you replace it with. 

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    If it’s thinking it’s out of filament when it’s not, then I recommend to just get rid of the filament sensor entirely to eliminate that... 
    Thanked by 1tay916
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    If it’s slipping, can you confirm if the drive gear is slipping on the filament (grinding) or if the motor is slipping steps?
    Thanked by 1tay916
  • Der_MuckDer_Muck Posts: 265🌟 Super Member 🌟
    edited June 2019
    What are you printing and is the extruder getting hot? As I think the sensor isnt your problem?
    When you change the extruder, you have to find a other solution for the sensor or you deinstall it.
    Thers a chance to get the sensor on the BGM extruder but for that you have to drill threads in it.

I found the best extruder you can get on Aliexpress. It increases the print quality dramaticaly.
    https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32973962746.html

But be aware, dont pay over 45€ for it, at the moment its the normal price, I got it under 40€.

You have to get a good stepper motor to cause the normal motor showed skipped steps and heat problems.
    You also have to recalibrate the stepps cause the extruder is 3:1 gear.
    You can use it upside down, only than, you can add the original sensor. For me I removed it because its useless as I think. Most time you know the filament is running out and you shouldnt use a empty spul. And when your out, the heatbed would get cold and the print would seperate from the bed on its own.

Normaly the standard extruder isnt that bad. Maybe the easyest way is to change the extruder weel, maybe its worn out. Dont loose the steel ball in the filament sensor (it happens very quickly)
    Post edited by Der_Muck on
  • Laser8302Laser8302 Posts: 170Member, 🌟 Super Member 🌟
    I picked up a BMG extruder clone from triangle lab (~$30)
    I'm still using it remotely. The mounting plate it comes with will fit on the A5, but I would recommend printing one instead.

Here's a link to the one I got.

As Der_Muck said, you have to adjust your E-steps. You can do it with a M92 command. After that you will want to flash the firmware with your settings after you calibrate it. 100->415 per the instructions worked perfectly for me.
    Thanked by 1tay916
  • Der_MuckDer_Muck Posts: 265🌟 Super Member 🌟
    415 works, actually it is a little higher, I would take the 415 to beginn exact calibration with it. 
    I have the upgrade extruder weels for the all metal extruder from triangle lab, its just perfect quality, everything from triangle lab I can recommend! I just didnt want a plastic extruder :D the aluminium one takes the temperature from the motor better. So it doesnt isolate, it works like a heatsink to.
    Thanked by 1tay916
  • tay916tay916 Posts: 5Member
    Thank you all your comments. I believe the issue is the filament out sensor. I removed it and haven't had the problem in 2 prints. That was the easiest to start with. Let's see from here. Thanks again!