Home JGAurora A5S, A1 & A3S-V2 Getting Started & Troubleshooting

New with problems and clueless how to troubleshoot...

Hi all-
I did a few searches on my issues but came up with nothing - forgive me if I am using incorrect terms.
I know nothing about 3D printing other than the little I've learned on YouTube in the last year. After some research I purchased an A5s, which I set up yesterday after finding a YT video from the manufacturer that saved me from the bad instructions.
My first test print (the cylinder-on-a-square-platform default test print) came out beautifully.
Then I decided to try my own print. They sent me two pieces of software, Cura and Ultimaker Cura, which seemed to be a newer version of Cura, so I used UC to slice it then transferred it with the SD card. Printing this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:397005
I decided to re-level the platform as many people have cited that as being an issue with this printer even though I had just finished the test print. In the process, the bed sliding backward caught and ripped out the 6-pin connector that goes to (I think( the z-axis motor. The connectors appeared undamaged, so I just plugged it back in and used a loose string leash to try and keep that cable out of the way.
After re-leveling I began the print but stopped almost immediately as the nozzle wasn't depositing the way it seemed to be with the test print. It was sticking in places, not at others, there were some small globs and random strings dragged randomly across the deck.
I cleaned the nozzle well and re-started, making sure the deck and the nozzle were at temp. They were, but I got more loss of deposition and more stringiness and globs, though not as many. I decided to let it go and see what happened.
When I woke this morning and went to check it, it turned out pretty good with solid deposition in a lot of the spots where it seemed not to be sticking before, and where globs had been. However the print was like swiss cheese with little perforations in a regular pattern throughout. Also, there was one place in the middle where the print was incomplete but had a strange, fuzzy mass. Pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/hyN2mLw
So, my questions:
1. Are the globs and stringy bits normal for PLA printing? If not, any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
2. Is the perforation a result of the software settings? If not, ideas?
3. Any idea what the fuzzy mess resulted from?
4. Could any of this be from using the filament that came with the printer? I'm guessing it could be cheap.
I'm sorry for the length of this post and appreciate the patience of those who have read through. This is a bit steeper learning curve than I was expecting.
Thanks!
Matthew

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    edited June 2019
    Hey Matthew, welcome to the forum! Sorry that no-one has replied... I think it looks like severe underextrusion to me. Check that you have 1.75mm set in cura both in the machine settings and the material manager settings. Have you made any progress since?
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on