Home JGAurora A5S, A1 & A3S-V2 Getting Started & Troubleshooting

A5S says it's printing but doesn't

The test piece printed the first time I used it but now it won't even print that.

Everything seems to be correct (though I am new user):
   Bed is level
   Plenty of starter PLA
   Extruder extrudes when controlled with the extrude function
   The extruder moves about each axis when controlled with any function other than actual printing
   The Bed and Extruder heat up properly
   Fan works

I have modeled and sliced a model in both the newest version of Cura and the JGcreate programs, moved their gcodes to the SSD and put that SSD into the printer. I have tried preheating the nozzle and bed before printing. Sometimes the print progress level will move to 100% within a few seconds then just sit there and sometimes it just sits at 0%. The most baffling thing to me is that the printer won't even print the test item anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanked by 1happymcc

Comments

• fuzzylogixfuzzylogix Posts: 5Member
    I just set mine up today brand new. Same exact issue, but never printed the test either. Extrudes when i use the function, temps are set, fan is working, just will not print. Also, when i got to the print menu and check everything, then go back, all of the values reset to zero. temps start cooling off and i have to end the print job and go back to the main menu to start all over again. 
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Hi All,

extremely bizarre! Can you please contact JGAurora and see what they say? In the meantime, you may like to try the community firmware until JGAurora can release a firmware fix.
    Thanked by 1fuzzylogix
    ive tried flashing the firmware, think mine was march 2019 from the factory. now when it gets almost fully loaded it fails and starts flashing the lcd screen. says fat fail execute fw. i sent a video in an email to JGAurora support
    installed the community firmware and worked perfectly. thanks for that
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
    edited June 2019
    For that "FAT fail execute FW" error, I recommend formatting the SD card fresh as FAT32.
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
    yep, formatted twice actually, same error. 
    edited June 2019
    One more thing to double check - check that the partition table is MBR and not GPT. This is the factory 8GB right?
    yes, factory 8GB. going to try a different SD card tomorrow
  • OvarkOvark Posts: 2Member
    edited June 2019
    Fuzzy did you end up getting your printer to print? If so, what fixed it?

Edit: nevermind, I got mine working. I had to move all the files from the flash drive somewhere else on my computer, then re-slice the model and save the gcode to the flashdrive as usual. Weird, how the SD card won't work when all the default files are on it....

Thanks for the help and ideas Samuel and Fuzzy. Good luck with your projects!
    Post edited by Ovark on
  • happymcchappymcc Posts: 1Member
    I registered to this website just to say the same problem happened to me . Thanks for the fix - worked fine for me . 
    Just weird that the printer wont print with the stock files on it but my test.gcode would print every time . 
    Welcome @happymcc and thanks for sharing your experience!
    Thanked by 1happymcc
  • Chrispy1Chrispy1 Posts: 2Member
    I seem to be having the same problem. It prints the test fine, but nothing else. This is very frustrating. I'm new to this so this is probably much more difficult for me than all of you. I don't understand the software, but I have someone helping me. Of course he lives 16 hours away so that makes it a little challenging. Anyway! I took of the original files from the sd card and tried that. still no luck. I'm going out to buy a new card today.
    edited July 2019
    Welcome @Chrispy1 ... it seems this is quite a common problem! Please let us know if a new SD card fixed the issue - I expect it will.
    I would also really really encourage you to contact JGAurora so they can be aware that this issue is affecting many people. Their email is support@zgew3d.com
    Thanked by 1Chrispy1
  • Chrispy1Chrispy1 Posts: 2Member
    Thank you for the welcome and info:) Samuel
  • snowsurfersnowsurfer Posts: 2Member
    I am a newbie as well and my problem is similar except that I have been unable to print the original test obj.  I have tried a new SD card, completed reformatted it and tried loading both the test object and one I had created using both the JGcreat and Cura slicers provided.  When I put my new SD card in the printer (after confirming on my computer that the files existed on the card)  the printer doesn't appear to see the files at all.

When I loaded the gcode files I created using my own object (small sculpture) created using meshroom/meshmixer onto the original 8G SD card the printer recognized the files, however when I selected the gcode file to print it did as other have said....appeared to think it was printing since the % completed kept going up, however nothing was happening, no X,Y or Z movement at all.   

For whatever reason I can still print the original test piece off the 8g card.

I actually put both the test gcode and my object gcode in the repetier host to look at the start code.  I edited the start code on my obj gcode file to be exactly the same as the test code saved them both and downloaded both back on to the 8g card.  The test obj. again printed and mine acted as it had before...no movement, but appeared to think it was printing.  

I am really confused and certainly no expert on gcode, but can't understand why the exact same gcode downloaded to my new 128g SD card, freshly reformatted would not even be recognized by the printer's SD card reader.

I have notified the factory today and hope to get some recommendations from them tomorrow.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,

Snowsurfer

• snowsurfersnowsurfer Posts: 2Member
    Sorry, a correction to my first sentence above....I have been able to print the test object off the original 8g card and still can.  

Snowsurfer
    edited August 2019
    @snowsurfer - welcome to the forum :smile:

The problem in your case is likely this:
    The printer can only read SD cards formatted as FAT32. This which is the default if you format an SDHC (SD high capacity) card of 2GB up to 32GB. For cards 64GB and above, these are SDXC (SD extended capacity) cards, and the default formatting option is actually exFAT, which is a newer standard that the printer does not understand. If you format your 128GB card as FAT32, I think it may work.

• MT3DMT3D Posts: 3Member
    I had the same problem as others, where the test piece would print just fine from the SD card which came with the printer, but no other gcode files I had sliced with Cura would print.  Some would start but not finish, while with others the machine said it was printing but would not actually do anything, even though the progress meter would move to 100%.  Being a complete novice to 3D printing I assumed I was doing something wrong with slicing and producing new gcode files, and tried various different settings as well as different versions of Cura, all to no avail.  After reading this forum I was prepared to try updating the firmware, but thought I would just try a different SD card first.  I found an old 2 GB SD card from a digital camera I haven't used in years, deleted all the images from it, and put my gcode files on there.  This immediately solved the problem, everything prints fine now, without having to update the firmware or do anything else.  Still don't understand why the 8GB card that came with the printer wouldn't work for anything other than the test file, but I don't really care now that I can actually use the printer!           
    edited August 2019
    Welcome @MT3D - glad you found a method that works. Have you tried formatting the factory SD card? If that did not work, please do contact jgaurora at support@zgew3d.com so they can investigate this issue further. Thank you.