Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Getting Started & Troubleshooting

Re-burning bootload on A5

So my USB cable crapped out on me while I was uploading Marlin firmware onto my A5. Once I tried to reupload I started receiving the avrdude stk500_recv() programmer is not responding error.

I purchased an Arduino Uno and wired the A5's board to it appropriately (Mosi to mosi, sck to sck, rest to pin 10 etc etc - also loaded the ArduinoISP sketch onto the Uno + made sure to select the Mega2560 board and appropriate processor) but when I try to burn the bootloader I am getting the same error. I made sure to select the Arduino as ISP from the programmer menu as well.

Specific error:
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03

and it repeats for 10 attempts

Any thoughts? Thanks!

PS I've attached the full error message below

<div>Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"</div><div><br></div><div>...Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino9/bin/avrdude -CC:...Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino9/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega2560 -cstk500v1 -PCOM7 -b19200 -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0xFD:m -Uhfuse:w:0xD8:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Jan 17 2017 at 12:00:53</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch</div><div><br></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;System wide configuration file is "...\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino9/etc/avrdude.conf"</div><div><br></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Using Port&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; : COM7</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Using Programmer&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; : stk500v1</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Overriding Baud Rate&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; : 19200</div><div>avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding</div><div>avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03</div><div>avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding</div><div>avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03</div><div>avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding</div><div>avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03</div><div>avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding</div><div>avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03</div><div>avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding</div><div>avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03</div><div>avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding</div><div>avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03</div><div>avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding</div><div>avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03</div><div>avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding</div><div>avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03</div><div>avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding</div><div>avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03</div><div>avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding</div><div>avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03</div><div><br></div><div>avrdude done.&nbsp; Thank you.</div><div><br></div><div>Error while burning bootloader</div>

Comments

• g_pwng_pwn Posts: 29Active Member
    Oops, posted the errors incorrectly. See below:

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

...\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino9/bin/avrdude -CC:...\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino9/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega2560 -cstk500v1 -PCOM7 -b19200 -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0xFD:m -Uhfuse:w:0xD8:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m 

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Jan 17 2017 at 12:00:53
             Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
             Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "...\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino9/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM7
             Using Programmer              : stk500v1
             Overriding Baud Rate          : 19200
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Error while burning bootloader.
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Are you definitely using an Arduino Uno and not a Mega? What processor is labelled in the middle of your Arduino board?
    Arudino Uno is printed on the actual board. Looks like the processor is the ATMEGA328p-pu
    I've attached an image of the board I have

edited April 2018
    Excellent, thanks for confirming. Looks like you are doing everything correctly - please double check your wiring. Something you might want to play with is the small capacitor from ground to reset (https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP#toc2) - if you don't have one, you can play around with the timing of pressing flash, and then pressing reset on the host arduino board. We can do a skype call if you're still getting stuck.

Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
    edited April 2018
    Also, double check that you are selecting the correct serial port for the host arduino, note that the mks board should not be plugged in to usb, it will get power via those jumper cables.
    edited April 2018
    Finally, I just checked and the default ArduinoISP sketch appears to use pin 10 to trigger the reset of the MKS board, rather than using the reset pin on the ICSP header. This may be the actual problem!!
    So pin 10 on the host arduino, is wired to reset pin on ICSP of the MKS board.
    Hey Samuel! 

I'm thinking I'll need to play around with the timing of pressing flash and pressing reset on the host arduino (dont have any capacitors handy).

I can confirm that the target mks board is not plugged into usb and that the port selected is for the Uno board.

Also, I can confirm that I have been using pin 10 on the host arduino board for the reset pin on the target mks board. All other pins are going to the ICSP on both boards. 
    I actually even tried the old style wiring (found on this page https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP) without any luck (I did also define old style wiring within the sketch itself when trying this).
    You can also play around with a jumper direct from ground to reset... I had luck just leaving that in, when I was using a arduino mega to do this. I've done it with a arduino uno as well, and from memory it just worked first time. hmmm  :neutral:

I'll try this as soon as I get home from work!

Yeah I actually said screw it and ordered a mega after finding this tutorial (he uses a mega)

If the tricks you mentioned work, I'll return the Mega and keep the uno just in case!
    Hey - maybe just keep both ;-) there's heaps of projects you can use these guys for!

One more tip, when you choose the burn bootloader option, make sure that you have selected "arduino as ISP" in the programmer menu, found in the tools menu.

Its also complicated as not all Uno and Mega are the same as others...the USB interface chip on the genuine products is typically a 32u4 chip, OR an FTDI FT232R chip, while the clones use the CH340 chip (like the MKS does). I think this may be one of the reasons people have different luck with different boards.  The official arduino tutorial link for ArduinoISP has advice on troubleshooting with leds as well.

I'm sorry I don't really have any other suggestions - the last option is to buy a USB flasher, which is a dedicated tool for this job. I'm not sure why this is giving you so much grief unfortunately! 

Yeah I was looking at a USB flasher initially, the only reason I didnt go with it is because the tutorials I found only really covered arduinos.

If a USB flasher doesnt work, I'm going to try a golf club and see if that makes it work. lol
    Haha... :D
    Can you tell me where to find the USB chip on a mega?
    I just got the Mega I ordered today and its actually a clone, so I figured I would check
    From what I can tell, this one has an Atmel MEGA16u2
    edited April 2018
    It’s the black square or rectangle closest to the USB port. 16u2 sounds right.

When you say jumper from reset to ground, you mean reset from the ICSP on the host arduino to ground (any of the available grounds on the host arduino), right?
    edited April 2018
    That should work, but I generally just use the pins (reset, ground) that are close together near the analog pins on the arduino.
    ok so, Im using the mega arduino this time. With reset ICSP pin to ground I get the same errors as before.

Without reset to ground I get the following

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

C:...\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino9/bin/avrdude -CC:...\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino9/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega2560 -cstk500v1 -PCOM8 -b19200 -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0xFD:m -Uhfuse:w:0xD8:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m 

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Jan 17 2017 at 12:00:53
             Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
             Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "...\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino9/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM8
             Using Programmer              : stk500v1
             Overriding Baud Rate          : 19200
    avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail
    Error while burning bootloader.
    edited April 2018
    Is it possible that the mks board is actually dead? Or do you think a USB programmer will fix this?
    Which USB programmer do you think I should get?
    Post edited by g_pwn on
    This should be working... hmmm
    Can you check your wiring? For a arduino mega it should look like this on the left

Does SS = Reset on mks board in this case?
    Yes that is correct - it might need to be pin 10 on the host board depending on the configuration of the ArduinoISP sketch you flashed first.