Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Modifications & Upgrades

Full bed replacement?

Long story short, my bed broke. Unsure if I can salvage it but I'd honestly like to look into fully replacing the whole bed, starting from the inside cables as I have the model with the cable chain and that might have caused or has been known to cause issues.

I'd rather just avoid that, get a high quality aftermarket bed, but I can't find any as of yet. 

I need recommendations.

Also I need recommendations for replacement stepper drivers as well. 

Thank you in advance. I'm still doing the largest upgrade known to this printer, but it keeps breaking before it can pay me for said upgrades. :(

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    What part of the bed broke exactly? Do you need a new cable, a new heater plate, or a new top glass?

You can buy silicone wires to replace the bed wires. If you solder the wires to the bed heater, that tends to be the most reliable. The cable chain is too heavy for the wires it carries, so it tends to flex in one spot, causing fatigue failure. You can add some PTFE tubing or cable ties inside the chain to help it move more smoothly and avoid kinking.

A4988 stepper drivers are fine, why do you want to upgrade? Perhaps look into TL-smoothers, they are easy to install and improve the print quality.

Thanked by 1GrayCountertop
  • GrayCountertopGrayCountertop Posts: 38Member
    So I'm trying to test all of those you listed. The bed might be fucked, the glass could be replaced, and the cable is already fucked and has been repaired, so I'm trying to fully replace that as well, went today to buy wire and they told me I'd need specialty wire so I'm stumped again and can only think to order silicone wires and hopefully have them resolder correctly onto the board because I can't get the connector to go back on in the first place.

I also need to know where the wires go to, which I can't find anywhere... I had the 4 pin and I wanna do 6 pin. 
    I'm still looking around for how to test if the bed heating part is messed up, and price checking silicone wires on amazon, but I have other printer parts and I'm tempted to install other bed wires onto this bed... but I'm super unsure and super lost.
    Silicone wires are also available from Banggood too

If you’re soldering wires to the heater plate you only need 4 wires. It’s not the wires that are the problem, it’s the connector on the bed is not rated for the high bed current. If you are soldering you will get an excellent connection with a 4 wire setup. Two thick wires for heater element and two slightly thinner ones for thermistor on bed.
    Just take it step by step and you’ll get there :) 👍
    So any wires will work?

Also should I still use the wire carry cage thing because I heard it was bad, but I can't find any good replacements.

I guess I can just wire it like it was and maybe test it with the printer itself turned on? Unsure. Still want to kind of test it with the multimeter but I can barely even understand what that is, let alone use it well. 
    Also, I set it to ohms so that it beeps if it can get a current through. 

it beeps on the first and second pole (the one with the heating parts I think) but not the second set (3rd and 4th pole, so I'm assuming thermoresistor) and it also beeps on the 5th and 6th. 

I'm assuming that means my themometer went bad.

Can I replace JUST that? and if so, what with?

I would recommend silicone wires, they are designed for flexibility. Other PVC insulation wires can get stiff and brittle with heat over time. I would suggest to keep the drag chain, but buy some PTFE tubing to add to the inside of the cabe as well, to help it stop kinking, and help it flow more smoothly. You can get rid of it if you want too... I haven't heard of many complaints from those who didn't have one from factory.

If you measure resistance using the 200ohms range the heater elements will measure less than 5 ohms. If you measure using the 200K ohms range, the thermistor will measure around 100K ohms at room temperature. Test it unplugged from the main motherboard for accurate readings. Check both at the heater board connections, and all the way on the end of the wires hooked to the bed. If there is an intermittent wire failure on the thermistor wiring that can cause frustrating intermittent issues.
    Any silicone wires? Gauge doesn't matter?

Also I tested it, everything is zero? When I first touch it it does something, then goes to zero. That's for the 1st, 2nd, and 5th, 6th, but the middle two (the 3rd and 4th) just don't do shit. I'm thinking the thermoresistor is broken. Still unsure if I can replace that or not.

I feel like getting a new replacement bed and some random boro sheet is my only option. Everything everyone tells me to do I come up empty with and I'm starting to lose steam with it. 

Plus I'm going to have to wait for these wires anyway... idk.

Very unsure how to make sure the bed works, or how to really work a multimeter to begin with. Plus if I have to order a thermoresistor I'm worried about that as well.

The bed is nicked hella hard in the back to the point where it's almost breaking the heating line thing. That's how it stopped working to begin with.

Unsure if it's broken just because of that, or what, I can't tell and don't know what I'm doing. 

I think I'm gonna keep trying to make this bed work, but order another just incase. Any solder will work aswell right?
    The bed is about 300W or so, so at 24V that works out to ~13A at peak. Based on AWG tables, (https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wire-gauges-d_419.html) you want something around AWG16 or AWG14 for the heater wires.

If you look on the underside of the bed you should see the thermistor in the middle. If you measure resistance over that you should definitely get a reading......

Nicked heating traces may be repairable with solder - sand off a bit of the solder mask (black) so more of the trace is exposed, and then try to join with solder.

I recommend leaded 60/40 solder as it is less brittle, and easier to work with than lead free. Better to remove any old solder first with solder wick braid (get a braid with flux in it), mixing different solder types will result in a less reliable connection.

Wouldn't I have to have something to then cover it up? Is it safe if I leave it uncovered? I'm gonna go ahead and remove all the solder I can, but I don't have a braid or a suction thing so I'm going to try and order that with the wire. 

Hopefully I can order the bed as well, but I've been saying that for almost a week now because paypal is still pending lol.
    Also off topic, do you have any recomendations for replacement leveling knobs? I've printed some but I'd rather just buy a new set. Will be googling M3 hand knobs and various thing but I'm unsure if this is something someone could add to the wiki as well. 
    I'd suggest you could cover it over with nail polish or kapton (polyimide) tape.

I don't have any knob tips, but if you find some that work, yeah please do let me know! :) maybe theres some for a different printer model that would fit well?
    I'm having a bad time finding good silicone wire anywhere lol. Silicone ain't cheap. 
    I found a similar posting on amazon, but they weren't full copper, and a review said they weren't copper at all. I don't have to order it for a few days and I was wanting something in the higher quality ranges, however I'm unsure where I can order by the foot online like I can by walking into a store.

I also couldn't find any ranges of gauges, and am unsure the exact feet, I measured out roughly 3-4ft of my own wire, but it's not silicone and doesn't flex too well.

I'm always paranoid about ordering from china sorts of items.
  • Laser8302Laser8302 Posts: 170Member, 🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Try this one: (14 gauge, 10ft red, 10ft black)
    https://www.amazon.com/BNTECHGO-Silicone-Flexible-Strands-Stranded/dp/B017TFR6SM/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=14awg+silicone+wire&qid=1563815338&s=hi&sr=1-3

Or this one: (16 gauge, 5ft of red, 5ft of black)
    https://www.amazon.com/BNTECHGO-Silicone-Flexible-Strands-Stranded/dp/B00TG1TRL2/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=16awg+silicone+wire&qid=1563815488&s=hi&sr=1-3

It may look aluminum but I believe it will work for the heat bed just fine.
    The thermistor can use smaller 20 or 22 gauge wire.

As for how to take a reading, there's a table that shows you how the bed is hooked up on the bottom:

The A5 is a 24V system, so if you measure the resistance between pins 2 and 3, you should have between 3 and 5 ohms. The  ones labeled "NTC" are the thermistor. If you look closely at the bottom of the bed, you can see 2 very small traces going towards the center where a little dot is. You can measure the resistance at the "dot" through the soldered connections, it should be ~100,000 ohms (100k). From there you can measure at the connector to make sure you have the same reading. If not, you could take a new thermistor and tape it to the bottom of the bed and run the wires to the board which would repair the temperature reading.