Home JGMaker Magic

Wiki is wrong - do not get the glass bed for this printer

TerminaTermina Posts: 4Member
The glass bed for the ender 3 is too thick, you will not be able to use it with this printer. Someone might want to update the wiki...

Comments

• SomeoneYouLikeSomeoneYouLike Posts: 38🌟 Super Member 🌟
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Thanks for the heads up - you can't raise your z endstop?
    Oh, and welcome @Termina !
  • domtugdomtug Posts: 4Member
    @Samuel Pinches yes you can. You'd just reduce your z axis build height by the height of the new plate. Worth it in my opinion.
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
    edited July 2019
    @Termina - hope that helps! I put glass on mine and after I adjusted the z endstop it fits great. Just had to hold it on to heater plate using masking tape.
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
  • TerminaTermina Posts: 4Member
    My bad, wasn't aware you could adjust that.

Is that something you'd adjust in Cura, or somewhere in the printer settings?
    It’s actually the physical switch on the printer that is used when you home it. It’s near the z axis motor. You can unscrew it from the aluminium frame and then move it up very slightly to compensate for the thicker bed plate.
    Thanked by 1alleriodrone
  • dburumdburum Posts: 8Member
    I want to be able to switch back and forth easily between the thinner plastic plate that came with the Magic and the thicker glass plate that I purchased.  So I printed the attached clip (.1 mm print resolution).  It clips onto the flange of the Z-axis motor bracket that contacts the Z-axis stop switch, so that the base of the clip activates the switch, rather than the metal flange.  The thickness of the base of the clip raises the zero-height of the nozzle by just the right amount.  Seems to work great (although I just did it today, so I have not printed anything yet using the glass plate).  If I want to go back to the plastic plate, I can just slid the clip off.  Also, to hold the glass plate to the bed, I just use one size larger clips - readily available from Staples and similar places.  
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches