Home JGAurora A5S, A1 & A3S-V2 Getting Started & Troubleshooting

Beginner Questions - How to Optimize Print Speeds

Hello-

I just recently purchased the JDAURORA A5S Upgraded. I am extremely new to 3D printing and this forum. I apologize if this question is already asked on the forum with a more specific term. I was unable to find anything on my initial search.

My first prints have all gone extremely well. I was nervous as I have heard that failed prints occur frequently, especially with your first couple prints as you are learning. The main problem I am having is when I pull a model into the Cura slicer application is that the prints take FAR longer than the estimate time in the software.

For example, I had a print that quoted 14 hours to complete. I did a lot of testing of settings related to support rules, infill settings, and printing speed. When the print actually processed it actually took 27 hours to complete. I could understand that the machine could be off a certain margin, but that is nearly double the quote time. I have to be missing some key file setup steps and/or Aurora configurations. During the process, I went into the "More" options and bumped the speed all the way up to 500% print speed.I didn't really notice a different in the actual speed of the print.

My first step will be go through the steps outlined in the follow wiki: https://jgaurorawiki.com/a5/printing-profiles to make sure that there isn't a setting in Cura causing the problem. While I do that, I wanted to go ahead and ask the community here on some general tips to minimize  print times. Especially in the beginning while I am learning how to simply model items properly for 3D printing, I would like to minimize wait times between submission and results.

I am using 100% PLA filament at the moment.
  • What is the maximum speed for prints recommended for minimal failed prints? (I accept there is always a trade off of speed to quality)
  • What is the best support generation settings for minimal build time (As this appears to be the most time consuming portion that could potentially be reduced)
  • What is the best infill option for speed? (Grid, Lines, Triangle, Etc.)
Again, I apologize if this information is easily obtained out there already. I appreciate any information and insights this community can provide to help.

Thanks-
WidgetElgie

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    edited July 2019
    A warm welcome to the forum! No need to apologise at all @WidgetElgie :smile:
    The problem with the print time estimation is due to the Cura engine using different acceleration values to the printer. The printer firmware acceleration is configured slower than is set in Cura, so the print speeds can end up being slower than expected. If you enable acceleration control in Cura, and set it to the same values as used on the printer, you should get more accurate print times. You can usually obtain the printers acceleration values by sending gcode command M503 in a control program like pronterface. In the printer firmware there are max speeds and max accelerations configured, so the printer won’t go faster beyond a certain point, no matter what the set print speed is in the gcode.

I hope that sets you in the right direction, let me know if you want further clarification on any of that.

All of your other questions are a little more subjective, and would vary depending on the part being printed.
    Thanked by 1WidgetElgie
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
  • WidgetElgieWidgetElgie Posts: 23Member
    Samuel,

Thank you so much for your response!

That makes a lot of sense and was my suspicion. It looks like the printer doesn't let you mess up too badly, which is good for a beginner like me.

I tried pronterface, but for some reason, my computer could never detect the printer when I connected via USB. I will try again on a different computer. I was using a surface with a usb port splitter (due to the surface only have 1 usb port and absolutely need a mouse to function).

Regarding print speeds and the parts being printed, Is there a great place to talk specifics per part on this forum?
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Anywhere is fine - maybe upload your STL file, or post a photo of your current print settings and the printed results you’re getting :smile:

Make sure you’ve installed the drivers for the CH340G driver, and try both the 250000 and 115200 connection baud rates. If you still can’t connect let me know and I can check things via teamviewer if you like. Also, make sure you have installed the latest firmware.
    Thanked by 1WidgetElgie
  • WidgetElgieWidgetElgie Posts: 23Member
    That is great to know. I will do some tinkering tonight and see if I can't get a decent setup going.

Thanks!