Home 3D Print Lounge

First Time Printing Setup Inquiry (A5S Upgraded; Cura)

I am working on some of my first 3D prints. Assuming that other 3D enthusiasts have been inspired by Iron Man, as I have. I was hoping that a more experienced 3D print-smith could help me better understand how to optimize the 3D print setup. 

I have attached my really simple setup for an iron man faceplate with the 2 models utilized. Could someone recommend a setup and setting for this model in particular.

It is reading at 11 hours of print time. This seems high for the part size and density, even at .6mm Layer Height. I am assuming it has to do with the supports being added. Waiting 11 hours for a very rough print makes me think there are details in setting a print up I simply am not aware of.

I have tried looking at the custom settings and found my head spinning before I could get around to a test build. Tried building without the supports, and the surface area touching the base plate is so small it makes it appear as if it will not be able to stick and print.

If you do take the time to provide a recommended Cura setup, could you please take some time to explain why you have made the choices you have? This way as I move onto other prints I will have a better understanding on how to make these determinations myself. 

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    edited July 2019
    Firstly, I would do each part one by one - print two parts together means more time travelling between the parts, and more chances got stringing too. It also means if one fails, you don’t need to restart both parts.

Check out makers muse, teaching tech and tom sanladerer on YouTube - they all have many videos on printing tips and tricks.

Likely you can save time by reducing the support material density, or by playing around with the infil % and infil patterning style.
    Thanked by 1WidgetElgie
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    To help parts stick more, you can add a brim to the part to give it more surface area to stick.
    Thanked by 1WidgetElgie
  • WidgetElgieWidgetElgie Posts: 23Member
    Samuel-

Thanks yet again for the advice. I will try each of your suggestions and see this can help. I did notice the stringing when I did 2 parts together before. I guess it does make sense to do 1 at a time, I guess in my mind it would be faster to do as many parts that can fit at once, but this would only make sense if it printed an entire layer at once.
  • Laser8302Laser8302 Posts: 170Member, 🌟 Super Member 🌟
    also pay attention to your part orientation. Just because the mesh shows up on the plate one way doesn't mean that's the most optimized way to print it. Typically I try to flip the model over to where I get the most material on the bed before enabling supports.

Since you want the outside surface to be as smooth as possible, for this print flipping it might not make sense because then you would have a lot of post-processing to remove the supports and sand it etc.

I like using the tree supports in the experimental options. It saves some material and print time because the supports "branch" outward and don't have to be so big at the bottom.
  • WidgetElgieWidgetElgie Posts: 23Member
    Thanks for the tip! I might try the tree support.