Homeโ€บ 3D Print Lounge

New With Help

I posted in my specific model of 3D printer thread wasn't sure if this was more of a general question problem I am having. It seems as though when I am making a print (try to perform my first print) that the gear that feeds the filament isn't pushing it through enough because basically no filament is coming out when it it trying to make a print. Any suggestions? Thanks

Comments

• Stephen ToddStephen Todd Posts: 281๐ŸŒŸ Super Member ๐ŸŒŸ
    edited January 2020
    Sounds like the hot end is not hot enough - set it to 200c and extrusion rate slow - keep pressing the feed on the display until something comes out

You load filament with the end cut to 45 degree angle, not a flat end, or it will likely catch on something internally
    Post edited by Stephen Todd on
  • djs1394xddjs1394xd Posts: 8Member
    Ok thanks I will try that. Also if I push it every so slightly it will come out so I wasn't sure if the feeding gear wasn't pulling it through enough for the filament to melt.
    If you can manually push the filament through the bowden tube and it oozes out of the nozzle, then yes, you have a problem with the feed mechanics - likely a broken plastic lever (they are known to crack), which I think you can buy from JGAurora - the lever presses the filament against the toothed gear

edited January 2020
    If when you strip down the feeder, you find the lever is cracked, maybe you have another printer that can print one?

Post edited by Stephen Todd on
  • djs1394xddjs1394xd Posts: 8Member
    Ok thanks that's what I'm wondering because it seems even if the bed was off that the filament should still ooze out and try to use that for the print but it is basically dry. I don't have another printer so I will have to see what they say. But I can see about looking to see if mine is cracked.
    If the nozzle is too close to the bed, then nothing coming out could be normal - the filament is already seeing resistance, and not enough gap to squeeze melted filament easily could be too much for the drive mechanism

If nothing extrudes when the z-axis is raised, then its not the gap

Usually you can hear clicking and/or banging as the extruder operates under duress