Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Modifications & Upgrades

MKS LCD: Flashing, Firmware Modifications, and Logo/Icon customisation

Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
edited March 2018 in Modifications & Upgrades
Hi all,
just following on from a discussion on facebook, thought it would be good to discuss how the MKS LCD firmware system works, in terms of what is possible, and how to modify things. I'll edit and add to this post as I get time, and will add the content to the wiki once I'm happy with it.

The LCD firmware consists of two files, and a folder of icon graphics:

• mks_config.txt <-- this file has the configuration settings for the firmware
  • mkstft28.bin <-- this file is the firmware core, and there is no source code available :(
  • mks_pic <-- this folder contains all the graphics and logos for the firmware.

There is also an "MksWifi.bin" file included with some firmwares. I am not sure what this is for. Perhaps, if you have a wifi module, this file will upgrade the firmware of the wifi module.

When you flash the firmware, all the files involved are renamed. This means that after a flash has been successful, if you turn the printer on and off again, it will not flash a second time, unless you rename the files again to the original file names.

The graphics for the firmware are all stored in a binary ".bin" format. This format is a 16bit raw graphic. The LCD resolution is 320x240px.
To convert an image into this format, a software tool must be used to produce a compatible file to the required specifications. There are two software tools available:
• Image2LCD (3rd party)
• MKS-Bin (by MKS)
Post edited by Samuel Pinches on

Comments

• dominickano18dominickano18 Posts: 7Member
    So if I wanted to change the boot up display on the JGaurora, all I would have to do is replace the logo “.bin” file in the mks_pic folder?
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Yep, and then reflash. :)
    Thanked by 1dominickano18
  • underlinesixunderlinesix Posts: 1Member
    Hi there,
    today i updated my frimware and watnted to update lcd frimware also.i did all same as you said and it updated and i turnet off and on again.files in sd card have been changed but my lvd fitures and icons are still the same.i saw they update in lcd but many times i turend off and on but same as before.what should i do? i use jgaurora a3s.
    thanks for your help.
    @underlinesix - that sounds odd, are you certain you are using the community lcd firmware zip, and not the factory lcd firmware zip?
    Or are you creating your own icons?
  • Richy_TRichy_T Posts: 142🌟 Super Member 🌟
    On the A1, it seems there is an option to update icons from the SD card without having to reflash the firmware. Does anyone have any info on this process? Stock icons are ugly.