Home JGAurora A5X

JGAurora A5X - What are the difference between this one and the A5?

StephRStephR Posts: 15Member
Hi, I'm interesting to buy a JGAurora A5X but it's very difficult to find resources for this model (e.g. Marlin files). Do you know what are the difference between this one and the JGAurora A5? Because on JGAurora A5 it's possible to find some resources. About Marlin firmware: here I found the Sam Pinches's "Configuration.h" and "Configuration_adv.h" files (for Marlin 1.1.9).

It's seam that: the rotation direction of the steppers motors are not the same, there is no dual Z stepper-motors on A5 (dual drivers and dual end-stops)... of-course dimensions are not the same, but what more?...

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    edited October 2018
    Hi StephR,

I'm in the process of updating the forum and wiki with the models that have been released in the last two months.

The A5X is one of those - unfortunately, I don't have one, so I don't have much I can say except what I have heard. The A5X does not seem to be actively promoted by JGAurora, so I don't know that I would recommend it over the A5 or the more recent (but internally very different) A5S and A1 printers.

The A5 has dual z steppers, but they are connected to one stepper driver.

The main motherboard and LCD module should be the same between them. I think you've highlighted the main differences - endstop positions, stepper driver configuration, dimensions, motor direction. Perhaps also steps per mm for the lead screws?

If you do manage to get a working firmware, it would great if we could share that on the wiki too! You could also ask JGAurora for the A5X marlin firmware, as it is open source, so they are supposed to share it.

Cheers,
    Sam
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
  • StephRStephR Posts: 15Member
    A french owner of A5X has contacted JGAurora for the Marlin firmware. But JGAurora sent him encrypted files (Configuration.h file was decrypted)... So this guy try to recontact them in order to have decrypted files (Configuration_adv.h) they said:
    > Hi,
    > Thank you for email.
    > The file need decode.
    > So we can't provide the Marline file for you.
    > It is company secret .
    > So i wish you to have a good understanding.
    > Thanks 

Strange isn't it?

edited October 2018
    Far out, I thought we had passed all this. They are quite acutely aware of their obligations under the GPL, this is wilful... are you able to ask the french owner for a copy of the files? I would be interested to have a look, encrypted or not :sweat_smile:
    (It's a french forum about 3D printers)

In fact, after discussion with A5X owner: as the A5 the A5X has dual z steppers, but they are connected to one stepper driver...
    >> In fact, after discussion with A5X owner: as the A5 the A5X has dual z steppers, but they are connected to one stepper driver...
    The guy has publihed pictures about electronics cards this printer (in the same french forum) and we can observed 5 drivers. So I can affirm today that there is 2 drivers for dual X steppers...
    I contact JGAurora and they sent me a ZIP archive with Marlin encrypted files: link here (available until 13/12/2018) Have you got an idea of the problem? (Maybe is due to charset?)

Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
  • Hi folks,

Hi StephR, i'am here also. My nickname on the french 3D printers forum is xfifi (i'am the french guy you've mentioned).
    edited November 2018
    Hi Samuel and Philippe (the A5X french owner :)),

Samuel: the zip archive you uploaded is also encrypted. I can't read any file except Configuration.h file. Same as the original archive that JGAurora gave us (to Philippe & me) before they decided to give me Configuration_adv.h file alone as I had proposed to them via e-mail after we exchanged more than 10 e-mails trying to convince them to give me all sources files of the firmware due to LGPLv3 of Marlin.

So Samuel, are you sure you uploaded the unencrypted files? (Maybe there is something specific to do before open them?)

Thank in advance, and as asked before: I give you my github link to "my/our" A5X Marlin v1.1.9 version (I didn't test it yet, so...): https://github.com/StephR74/Marlin-v1.1.9-A5X/ (Of course you can comment it)

Post edited by StephR on
  • RichygoatRichygoat Posts: 4Member
    Hallo StephR,
    it is right that i can flash your A5X Marlin Version directly on my A5X. Did i have to do something special while flashing? Or can i use the flashing instruction dir the A5 because of the same hardware? Never flashed a Printer with Arduino befor. 

Regards
    Christian 
    edited November 2018
    Be careful Richygoat, I didn't test this firmware yet... Process is the same as the JGAurora A5 3D printer: https://jgaurorawiki.com/a5/firmware#firmware-installation-instructions (But notice that you will flash it at your own risk).

BR
    Stéphane

Post edited by StephR on
    @StephR  - sorry, you are right, my file is corrupted. I only checked the configuration.h file. But, that should be the only important file we need? I've messaged JGAurora also asking for a non-corrupted copy. Will see what they say...

Thanks for your efforts to make a firmware build. Your 1.1.9 build, is that using the steps per mm and motor direction settings from their configuration.h then? Unfortunately I don't have a an A5X so I can't test it.

Cheers,
    Sam
    edited November 2018
    @Samuel Pinches Arf... I thought you find how to open all files. I hope your JGAurora request will success, mine won't succeed, they just gave me the Configuration_adv.h (it's a great beginning). You can download it here as they gave to me (they renamed it: config_adv.txt).

About "my" Marlin v1.1.9 configuration: yes I used their step/mm and motors directions settings (find in Configuration.h of the JGAurora A5X Marlin). And I added some Marlin function (like: linear advance, hotend & bed PD, "mesh leveling", "S-Curve Acceleration", "Advanced Pause", pre-heat menus for PLA & ABS).

Post edited by StephR on
    I'm just waiting for them to get back to me. We overcame the RAR problem, but still waiting for them to send me the full firmware package. I'm hopeful :-)
    Hi StephR,
    when i compile your Marlin Version there is an error accounted:

Arduino: 1.8.6 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

In file included from sketch/HAL.h:33:0,
                     from sketch/MarlinConfig.h:39,
                     from sketch/Sd2Card.cpp:29:
    Sd2Card.h:100:39: error: pasting "/* SPI Master In Slave Out pin*/" and "_DDR" does not give a valid preprocessing token
       #define SPI_MISO_PIN MISO_PIN       // SPI Master In Slave Out pin
                                           ^
    sketch/fastio.h:86:42: note: in definition of macro '_SET_INPUT'
     #define _SET_INPUT(IO)        CBI(DIO ## IO ## _DDR, DIO ## IO ## _PIN)
                                              ^
    sketch/Sd2Card.cpp:316:3: note: in expansion of macro 'SET_INPUT'
       SET_INPUT(SPI_MISO_PIN);
       ^
    sketch/Sd2Card.cpp:316:13: note: in expansion of macro 'SPI_MISO_PIN'
       SET_INPUT(SPI_MISO_PIN);
                 ^
    Sd2Card.h:100:39: error: pasting "/* SPI Master In Slave Out pin*/" and "_PIN" does not give a valid preprocessing token
       #define SPI_MISO_PIN MISO_PIN       // SPI Master In Slave Out pin
                                           ^
    sketch/fastio.h:86:61: note: in definition of macro '_SET_INPUT'
     #define _SET_INPUT(IO)        CBI(DIO ## IO ## _DDR, DIO ## IO ## _PIN)
                                                                 ^
    sketch/Sd2Card.cpp:316:3: note: in expansion of macro 'SET_INPUT'
       SET_INPUT(SPI_MISO_PIN);
       ^
    sketch/Sd2Card.cpp:316:13: note: in expansion of macro 'SPI_MISO_PIN'
       SET_INPUT(SPI_MISO_PIN);
                 ^
    Sd2Card.h:99:39: error: pasting "/* SPI Master Out Slave In pin*/" and "_DDR" does not give a valid preprocessing token
       #define SPI_MOSI_PIN MOSI_PIN       // SPI Master Out Slave In pin
                                           ^
    sketch/fastio.h:87:42: note: in definition of macro '_SET_OUTPUT'
     #define _SET_OUTPUT(IO)       SBI(DIO ## IO ## _DDR, DIO ## IO ## _PIN)
                                              ^
    sketch/Sd2Card.cpp:317:3: note: in expansion of macro 'SET_OUTPUT'
       SET_OUTPUT(SPI_MOSI_PIN);
       ^
    sketch/Sd2Card.cpp:317:14: note: in expansion of macro 'SPI_MOSI_PIN'
                  ^
    Sd2Card.h:99:39: error: pasting "/* SPI Master Out Slave In pin*/" and "_PIN" does not give a valid preprocessing token
       #define SPI_MOSI_PIN MOSI_PIN       // SPI Master Out Slave In pin
                                           ^
    sketch/fastio.h:87:61: note: in definition of macro '_SET_OUTPUT'
                                                                 ^
    sketch/Sd2Card.cpp:317:3: note: in expansion of macro 'SET_OUTPUT'
       ^
    sketch/Sd2Card.cpp:317:14: note: in expansion of macro 'SPI_MOSI_PIN'
                  ^
    Sd2Card.h:101:39: error: pasting "/* SPI Clock pin*/" and "_DDR" does not give a valid preprocessing token
       #define SPI_SCK_PIN SCK_PIN         // SPI Clock pin
                                           ^
    sketch/fastio.h:87:42: note: in definition of macro '_SET_OUTPUT'
                                              ^
    sketch/Sd2Card.cpp:318:3: note: in expansion of macro 'SET_OUTPUT'
       SET_OUTPUT(SPI_SCK_PIN);
       ^
    sketch/Sd2Card.cpp:318:14: note: in expansion of macro 'SPI_SCK_PIN'
       SET_OUTPUT(SPI_SCK_PIN);
                  ^
    Sd2Card.h:101:39: error: pasting "/* SPI Clock pin*/" and "_PIN" does not give a valid preprocessing token
       #define SPI_SCK_PIN SCK_PIN         // SPI Clock pin
                                           ^
    sketch/fastio.h:87:61: note: in definition of macro '_SET_OUTPUT'
                                                                 ^
    sketch/Sd2Card.cpp:318:3: note: in expansion of macro 'SET_OUTPUT'
       SET_OUTPUT(SPI_SCK_PIN);
       ^
    sketch/Sd2Card.cpp:318:14: note: in expansion of macro 'SPI_SCK_PIN'
       SET_OUTPUT(SPI_SCK_PIN);
                  ^
    exit status 1
    pasting "/* SPI Master In Slave Out pin*/" and "_DDR" does not give a valid preprocessing token

Dieser Bericht wäre detaillierter, wenn die Option
    "Ausführliche Ausgabe während der Kompilierung"
    in Datei -> Voreinstellungen aktiviert wäre.

best regards
    Christian 
    edited November 2018
    Good news time :smile:
    JGAurora got back to me :smiley: 
    Here's the full factory firmware: click here :cookie:

edited November 2018
    If someone manages to get a newer version of firmware working (e.g. 1.1.8C modified for A5X, or perhaps a new 1.1.9 build), please let me know and I can upload it to the wiki page for the A5X - you will be credited for your efforts too :smile:

edited November 2018
    @Richygoat: I don't know how did you compile it, but Arduino IDE can compile it. Have you install all needed libraries before? (I just try to compile it, and I generated the hex files without any problem - If you prefer I can send them to you). Please check your IDE...

@Samuel: "good news" of-course is it! I'm going to look at the JGAurora firmware. Thank you Sam.

Post edited by StephR on
    @Samuel: JGAurora has modified Configuration.h and Configuration_adv.h without anything special, except they increased all WATCH_TEMP_PERIOD in order to avoid "heating failure". They have upgraded (translated) china language file. And after that they spent some time to cancel the boot images of Marlin... :P

@Richygoat: today (the 21th) I try to comple it it using "Atom + PlatformIO IDD" and it works fine.

Did you retry to compile it? Did it worked? How can I help you?

Hi StephR,
    no i did not compile it again. What library's do i need. Never flashed a printer before or worked with Arduino.
    I thought i could flash it like the instruction in the wiki for the A5.

I don't won't to kill my printer.
    edited November 2018
    Yes you can compile as it's written in the wiki for the A5. Notice that it's written:
    "Install the u8glib library, using the library manager found under the menu “Sketch → Include Library → Manage Libraries”. (watch this video for a demonstration)"
    You just have to follow these instructions.

Notice that after that you will have to calibrated your printer. Calibrate: the extruder (steps/mm), Bed and hotend PID settings, settings of the linear mode, X/Y/Z stepper-motors steps/mm, jerk setting...

Post edited by StephR on
    Can i use my old settings like steps/mm? what did i have to do with the rest of the settings? Could be the default settings ok?
    How long would it take to setup everything? 

Actually i'm getting used to Atom and platform io idd.
    edited November 2018
    @Richygoat: Yes of-course you can use your old settings (by default I set the default JGAurora values). And it's not mandatory to calibrate your printer. But if you want to have better prints I think you will have to consider to calibrate your printer...

And in my opinion it's more difficult to use Atom + Platform io than Arduino IDE.  Arduino IDE is the simplest way to compile and flash this printer (according to me).

Post edited by StephR on
  • Hi folks,

You can found here https://github.com/xfifi/Marlin-A5X-Stock/ my work on the latest Marlin branch aka Marlin-bugfix-2.0.x for the JGAurora A5X Stock

I've tested the firmware on my own printer and it work very well.

The firmware is build with MS Visual Code and Platformio. I've posted some pictures here on the French 3D Printer community Forum here : https://www.lesimprimantes3d.fr/forum/topic/17282-ma-deuxième-imprimante-jgaurora-a5x/?do=findComment&comment=238293

Preview

Result : yeah it works !

• Philippe RodierPhilippe Rodier Posts: 8Member
    Hi,

One month after this firmware work very well. Here the last benchy.