Home 3D Print Lounge

Newbie here - looking for suggestions and improvements

Hi guys,

i have a new JGAurora A5, i'm at my 4th-5th print, i'm quite satisfied so far but i'm getting greed about my print quality :)

Tonight i printed this bakercube: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2676324

Those my results,
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1e6y7ZjK_6TDo9-3-RKx1z0Sl1TADhb7h

It seems that sometimes the printer produces gaps between layers, they are infrequent so it could be a temporary under extrusion problem due to bad quality of the filament or some kind of problem in the extruder (dirty?).

I've read the wiki (thanks guys!) and i did the following:
- decent bed leveling (no mesh leveling)
- downloaded the profile in the wiki to setup CURA
- i did NOT update the firmware yet
- PLA TIANSE WHITE 1.75mm
- Extruder temperature 210C° - bed 60C°- infill 30%

Do you need other information?
What do yoy guys think about the overall quality?
How can i avoid those gaps in my prints?

Thanks!

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Welcome Luigi! It is worth going over the whole printer, and checking that every screw is tight. On my printer I replaced the springs with solid nylon spacers, which made the print bed significantly more rigid. However, unless you are using mesh bed leveling (which results in a compromise in print quality over the "fade height region") this makes it difficult to level your printing bed. I've seen some people say that they replaced the springs with thicker springs, or used small spacers+springs.

Some links for reference:

More parts and upgrades on thingiverse here:

Thanked by 1Jens
  • cdmerrittcdmerritt Posts: 3Member
    Hello, I am new to 3d printing. I have the jgaurora maker magic and not sure where to start. I have levelled the bed per video and instructions and printed the test object. It doesn't look too good so I am sure some settings need changed. The program on the printer is confusing. I have downloaded cura but do not know what settings to use and if I need to change something on the printer itself etc... If anyone wants to help an older lady figure some basic settings out to use this, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

• Laser8302Laser8302 Posts: 170Member, 🌟 Super Member 🌟
    It doesn't look like a belt or axis problem, it looks like under/over extrusion problem.

One of the first upgrades I made to my A5 was to switch out the extruder to a geared extruder. The one that comes with the printer is OK-ish. I was running into problems printing anything other than PLA.

a BMG or Titan clone would do fine. Only ~$15USD for a titan clone on aliexpress.

You could also go through the trouble of calibrating your extruder steps per mm.
    mark out your filament 120mm from the extruder
    Heat your hotend to your printing temperature
    Connect to pronterface or use the LCD to extrude 100mm through the hotend
    Measure how far your mark is from the extruder.
    Use this equasion to find your steps per mm:
    (((measured distance - 20)+100)/100)*(Current steps per mm)

Then send M92 E(calcuated steps per mm)
    Then M500 to store in EEPROM.

Hope this helps.
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    To my eyes, it looks like you may be printing too quickly, or perhaps the print temperature is too low. If you can share the settings that you have used, we can give you some feedback. I would suggest trying 215C and 40mm/s, and retrying that print. Please check as it is printing, do you hear the filament drive motor (extruder motor) slipping or clicking at all?
  • alleriodronealleriodrone Posts: 10Member
    That should not happen to the test print. did you use the stock Gcode on the SD card? Mine printed fine once I got a replacement motherboard but mine wasn't extruding at all when I asked for the motherboard replacement.
  • alleriodronealleriodrone Posts: 10Member
    Also, as a sidenote, PLA is may be foodsafe but the method of manufacture is not food safe so as far as the bakers cube goes you may want to reconsider. https://all3dp.com/2/is-pla-food-safe-what-you-really-need-to-know/

• Euzziel EclarinalEuzziel Eclarinal Posts: 15Member
    Didyou calibrate the extrusion steps? I had those before. Try investing on a dual gear or just bondtech in particular then calibrate it. Apply linear advance. Tighten all your axis. Clean the Z axis rod. Replace the rubber "dampener" on the z axis nut with nylon pair with brass. Do maintenance everytime you see those.