HevilpHevilp Posts: 136🌟 Super Member 🌟
Hi,

I don't know if you recognized it, but here

http://www.jgaurora3d.com/list_21.aspx

is the official firmware to download

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    edited May 2018
    Yes, back in April there was a big community push across many 3D printer communities for manufacturers to comply with the GPL. :smile:

it was very good to see JGAurora provide the source code for their A5 and A3S printers.
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
  • HevilpHevilp Posts: 136🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Did you check it? Something they have better then in community version?
    Not that I found πŸ˜‰
    Nice ;)
  • djauroradjaurora Posts: 35🌟 Super Member 🌟
    is some changelog? What is new and what is updated? Is sense to update or changing nothing?
    JGAurora release the source code, but the version seems to be the same as the hex file they released in January. The official firmware is based off Marlin 1.1.6, whereas the community firmware is based off 1.1.8, and I will (eventually) be releasing a version based off the latest build.
    JGAurora does not provide a firmware changelog. I wrote down my observations of their changes here:Β https://jgaurorawiki.com/a5/factory-firmware

• JayJoeJayJoe Posts: 34🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Hi, I am new here and I am anticipating the arrival of my JGAURORA A5 in next 2 weeks time. Anyway, I have done some homework by watching lots of videos about A5.Β 

My questions are:
    1) is there necessary or compulsory to flash Marlin 1.1.8? Because the official firmware is based off Marlin 1.1.6, not much difference between them I guess since their versions are quite close?

2) The process of flashing new firmware requires to move and turn the printer around to unplug the LCD cable, so every time and next time after flashing new marlin firmware, I will need to calibrate bed leveling again?Β 
    1) It is completely optional. The community firmware benefits are listed on the wiki here - the main one is mesh bed levelling, and the ability to customise your firmware as you wish. The community firmware was created at a time when the factory firmware had many major flaws, most of which JGAurora have since fixed.

2) I usually just hang 2 inches of the front of the printer off a table edge. There is a hole in the bottom of the printer near the front that allows just enough clearance to unplug the LCD cable. Major movement of the printer might required a new bed levelling, but I can't say yes or no for certain.
    Thanked by 1JayJoe
    Which branch is the community fw? 1.18 or 1.18-bugfix?
    bugfix from memory. If you are really keen to play around... I've been working on a rev D firmware using the latest build... but unfortunately that was 2 months ago as I've been swamped with work. I'm not saying you should try it, but if you wanted to poke around with things it's here.
    I will give a try. Maybe driver error is fixed by a firmware update
    No. The version C should be more stable, if you are having problems I do not recommend trying version D.
    Okay, the bugfix branch is stable in general or?

The difference between community is the Configuration.h, Configuration_adv.h and pin_RAMPS.h or is there something more
    edited June 2018
    All of those, as well as a custom thermistor calibration file too, as well as boards.h and the pins_mks_gen_L file.

Rev C firmware is stable and well tested, but normal bug fix may or may not be stable. Usually it is more stable as it has had more.... bugs fixed.
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
    FYI: pins_mks_gen_L and boards.h (minor changes) are the same in latest git release from today.
    We submitted the custom firmware to the marlin developers so some changes should be already incorporated the latest builds.
    Ah okay, turned the 1.1.8C to the new bugfix release from today and I will test it later this day. Can you tell me something about the thermistor calibration file?

Which is it?
    The thermistor file isΒ thermistortable_15.h - you can see in configuration.h the thermistor number is 15.
    I made JGAurora A5 version of the latest github version of 2.x.x bugfix version. I will let you know if it worth to upgrade.
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
    Hi again

@Samuel Pinches
    Can you please split up the sidetalk about my stepper driver problem and merge into the right thread? That would be nice.

Here is the link of it:
    Marlin 2.x.x Github-release 07.06.2018
    https://www.amazon.de/clouddrive/share/msAy6maCifvW5LfI6VbS1Zrm7dhz9JkbnBYJ2zm224j

You need Arduino 1.9 (it is a beta).

It is untested, I have my own version with TMC2130 which is running flawless. Please post errors here, maybe I forgot to change 1 line, I don't remember ^^
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
    Cool - I don't have time to look at it right now, but I'll let you know when I do! Nice job :smile: