Home 3D Print Lounge

Painting 3D Printed Models

SomeoneYouLikeSomeoneYouLike Posts: 38🌟 Super Member 🌟
Hello!

I am a relatively a new member of this community, I started experimenting with 3D printing around 6 months ago and I am loving the journey so far. 

However, I want to try painting this beautiful Punisher Bust that I printed.

Link for the STL: https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-punisher-frank-castle-support-free-bust-94453

My question is, how do you guys paint 3D models? What paint do you use (inexpensive please, I am on a budget.)? Any other post-processing do you do before painting? What kind of paint do you recommend that I should use? 

Thank you! 

Comments

• CapFiveCapFive Posts: 15Member
    (I know this is a little late for a response, but for the sake of knowledge sharing, I figured, I'll post some recommendations...)

For my smaller models, I use basic acrylic paints that can be picked up at any craft store. I have a Michael's near me and I use the "craft smart" line of acrylics. A 2oz bottle goes for about 0.79 cents. They are available in many colors and many finishes. They mix very easily, which lets you stock up on basic colors and hone in on the color you want.

I suggest, regardless of the brand you purchase, to buy a few of the different types and test them on printed samples to see how they stick to the print and how they look when dried.

This 3D printed Mandalorian mini-bust was painted with just a combination of those "craft smart" acrylic paints. (I also use a bit of clear nail polish, donated to me by my wife, to add a high-shine to certain spots.)

Good luck with your painting... post the finished piece when you're done!

Thanks!

• giantrobot2001giantrobot2001 Posts: 106🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Cheap bottled acrylics in a crazy assortment of colors (like the little apple barrel paints from walmart)  Coat your pieces with a good quality clear, and choose Matt or Gloss.  I use Krylon's Crystal Clear Triple Thick Glaze.  You can lay it on in one quick super tough coat and it doesn't run.  It's everywhere, like the home Depot or Lowes or craft store.