Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Modifications & Upgrades

vertical lines after installing TMC2208

Hello everyone!

Based on the Da Hai Zhu tutorial on Youtube, I installed the 2208 drivers on the X and Y axes. I adjusted the voltages to 0.85 and 1.25 V respectively and i changed it in Marlin to TMC2208_standalone, in addition to changing the axis directions. I used Samuel's marlin 1.1.9, but I didn't update the display and the prints are coming out with many vertical lines as in the image below.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks a lot!

Leonardo

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Hi defaveri! Wow, that's strange that it only happened after changing the stepper drivers, because that certainly looks like a mechanical vibration of some kind - but changing them back to confirm would probably be a pain I imagine. Are the ripples on both X and Y? Perhaps the stepper drivers are defective in some way? Really not sure sorry.
  • michalko99michalko99 Posts: 153Member, 🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Hello. From pictures I can see, that your inner shell and infill looks OK(first picture-separated leg without infill and part of infill).
    This leads me to high outer layer speed in Cura. On my TMC setup I am using maximum 55mm/s speed. Which is yours? Please post picture of Cura. The biggest circle shows also some overshoot, so maybe also acceleration snd jerk settings are wrong.

After changing drivers to TMC, you have to completely tune your printer from beginning-nothing stays in stock..

Attached is my setting. I am using Cura 4.7.1. Usually I have disabled autoupdates, but I needed new feature(small hole max size and small feature initial speed) for printing large amount of holes on bottom layer to keep them adhered on glass

• defaveridefaveri Posts: 11Member
    Hi @Samuel Pinches and @michalko99  ! 

Unfortunately during some adjustments I ended up damaging the touch display and I was unable to proceed with the tests. I bought another one and it is on its way to exchange and as soon as I do I will continue the tests and return with answers.

I'm using a speed of 20mm / s for the external wall. As you said, the problems probably refer to jerk and acceleration, but I can only be sure after arriving the new display as I said above. Thank you for sharing your profile screen. I have not activated the jerk option, I leave it on automatic, but it may be necessary to adjust in the firmware. I will return here as soon as I am in condition.

Thank you friends!
    ok then. You must consider that A5 hotbed is not as lightweight as Anet or similar. It must be slower, because you have to accelerate and brake significantly higher mass
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
  • defaveridefaveri Posts: 11Member
    edited October 2020
    Hi @michalko99 , i received de display touch and replace the damaged one. I compiled Samuel's marlin and display firmware in version 1.1.9c and i changed the jerk and acceleration values ​​directly on the marlin but it didn't work. Vertical lines continue.
    I didn't mention it, but I replaced the linear bearings with Igus Drylin, which are much quieter and smoother, but I believe they are not responsible for the lines.
    On the TMC2208 drivers, I applied 0.85V on X and 1.25V on Y, following this @Samuel Pinches
     tutorial https://jgaurorawiki.com/a5/silent-stepper-driver-tmc2208
    I still can't understand why these lines and I don't see a way to solve this problem.
    Thanks a lot!
    Post edited by defaveri on
    My A5 is also running on TMCs and custom firmware from this forum. X axis has polymer bearings, Y axis MISUMI ball bearings. 
    Try to print cylinder and normal cube in VASE mode how it will look like. In VASE mode(without infill) you will have only walls printed. Cylinder will have constant movement of X and Y, so there you should see smoothness of movement..

Check also belts tension. Avoid too tight and too loose tension

Also cura settings would be good to see. There is still <by me bug> that if you change some settings and then disable them, they are still active