Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Getting Started & Troubleshooting

JGAurora A5 (Z axis only works up)

Mike_WMike_W Posts: 9Member
Dear Readers,

I've upgraded my JGAurora A5 printer with the nice TMC2130 V1.1's for all axis types by using the following tutorial from "Da Hai".
Problem: My Z axis only works upwards not downwards.
  • Note: All other axis points work perfectly.
Things i tried myself:
  • Loose cable check (No loose cables found)
  • Checked if the corresponding cables for the Z axis where correct (All placed following the schematic from the video.)
  • Wire check (No problems with the soldering, used a multi-meter.)
  • Software check (If i made any errors compared to the video (Sadly no luck with finding any problems))
  • Tried to find errors using Pronterface (No errors showed up while giving the command to go downwards.(Physically and using Pronterface))
  • Replaced the TCM 2130 steppe driver with the one from the X axis (Problem stays at the Z Axis)
  • Switched the motor cables from Z & X axis. (Motor cables themself work perfect.)

Possible issue: Z axis on motherboard itself isn't working properly. (Z- doesn't work)

Question: Does anyone know how i can make sure this is the problem or not?

I've followed step 1 and 2 precisely and checked multiple times but sadly I can't seem to find the issue with it so here I am.
Hoping someone here can help me out.

Hope to hear from anyone soon!

Friendly regards, Mike_W
Post edited by Mike_W on

Comments

• Mike_WMike_W Posts: 9Member
    Edit: When i use automatic calibration the Z axis does move down for around 2cm but then the whole proces stops. This shows the motherboard is working fine (right?) but now is the question: What does my printer causes to stop moving downwards on the Z axis... 

Feeling lost with the printer  :'(
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    edited January 2021
    Hi Mike, I think you might need to invert the z motor direction in firmware. I dont use TMC but that's my hunch as to what might be going wrong.
    Thanked by 1Mike_W
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
    edited January 2021
    Thank you for your response Samuel, at the moment i'm cleaning the rods since I read the standard greese they apply is pretty bad and can hard up and cause trouble. I'll be retrying it after that and if it still occurs then i'll try to invert te Z direction.

I'll post here again after the result.
    Post edited by Mike_W on
    edited January 2021
    Back with some info:

1. Cleaned them and re-greesed them. (1 rod has a wiggle in it it seems so thats not good :/:smile) but the problem wasn't solved with this.
    2. Changed the code by inverting the Z to go downwards with the Z+ button and upwards with Z-. Now it works perfectly downwards but not upwards.
    1 good thing: in Pronterface it gives me an error: Endstops hit: (coordinates)
    It gives this error in any position (Where no endstops physically exist.)

Does this mean my motherboard is broken on the Z axis part? (No physical damage)
    Post edited by Mike_W on
  • michalko99michalko99 Posts: 153Member, 🌟 Super Member 🌟
    hi,

in pronterface send M119 and check endstop status by clicking it manually. Might be broken, or more possible failure is inverted endstop in firmware..
    edited January 2021
    Hello and thanks for your reply!

I tried it out and it seems your right. The Z endstop is permanently triggered and pressing the endstop physically doesn't change the value so it's not inverted sadly. i'll try to check with my multimeter if it's permanently open or closed (It's a normally open circuit)

New info:
    • The normally open (endstop) works properly so it's not being caused by that. (Tested it with a multimeter)
    hope this might help in further tips :sweat_smile:
    Post edited by Mike_W on
    All endstops are NO in A5. So if you can measure it by multimeter that no short when free and short when pressed, you must have mistake in firmware. No other possibility, except that wires from endstop are shorted somewhere between microswitch and mainboard,,

description is on bottom of page:
    https://jgaurorawiki.com/a5/modifications

Michal
    edited January 2021
    Hello Michalko99, it works perfectly now. You were indeed right about inverting. I'll explain in detail:

I've got the following installed on my JGAurora A5
    1. TMC2130 for all axis motors
    2. JG Performance MKII Kit from: HERE

The issue:
    First of all it was entirely my fault for my inexperience with 3D printers and coding etc but learned a lot with this.
    Problem was that everything was installed correctly (Hardware). I only changed the software so it was compatible with the TMC2130 but didn't took account for the performance kit which also needed software changes. Which therefor created my issue. (I took it for granted that no coding was needed since it has this on the website: Calibration without G-Code & Scripting) Would've been great it was a bit more clearer for total beginners like me. (Fault lays with me though)

The Solution I actually managed 2:
    1. Difficult: Inverting the endstop for the Z which made it work perfectly with the endstop on the KIT (I totally forgot about this.) and changed some bounderies so it would always stay within the plate (Sensor on the KIT)
    2. Easiest: I searched on their website and there was a tab: Firmware & Support which I didn't even notice in the beginning. And so thats the full firmware code which had everything already done in it. (Changed it to this since it's perfected already)

Samuel Pinches  & Michalko99 thank you greatly for your time!
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
    Post edited by Mike_W on
    you are always welcome.. Many print hours without failures