Home 3D Print Lounge

How to print at low temperatures?

Hi everyone, this is my first time here . My name is Jaco, I´m spanish living in the Nederlands. I got a A3S in November and I have been playing with it and the diferent softwares for 3d modeling. I have no backup so this months have been quite intense but also funny. 
I´m trying to print PCL. The fabricant recomends 100C for this material (I think can be printed even at lover temperatures) but the printer is not working properly. The motor of the extruder remainds quiet even when the head of the printer does move. I have read a little and it may be a protectión of the setings of the printer to avoid extrusion under 187C.

Any idea how to solve this problem?

Kind regards from a rookie.

PD: great web site, I also love the dark theme. I learning a lot and I enjoy it.

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Welcome! I have a little familiarity with PCL. We did 3D printing of PCL in my lab at uni.

You need to change the firmware configuration.h to remove the minimum extrusion temperature. Please post a photo of your printer ( so I can see whether you have A3S v1 or A3S v2) and I will try to help you when I can.

Thanks for your kind words about the website, it is not perfect, but it is one of my pride and joys. :blush:

• Jaco Carlo KasunJaco Carlo Kasun Posts: 12Member
    edited March 2020
    Hi there Samuel!
    Good to hear that you were able to get a little in touch with this material.
    Did you know that it´s been use in the investigation for future organ printing? Of course is not so simple as to print a toy but it is a start. Because of is biocompatibility and slow  and desintegration in a "live" enviroment some reaserchers use it to (for example) treat bone defect in rats; as a growing material for cells; drugs realease,...
    Wel I beter cut off. As you ask here is my 3d printer. I have change de tube for a capricorn, I still have some problem with stripping for large volumes and with the adhesion to the bed. I have been reading a lot and I think I,m in the good way to solve them. You can see as wel a lever for the extruder (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3601919)
    I have ask for this problem to the offical support of aurora and they pointed the same problem that you. 

I hope you all a good day, 

Jaco

Gowiththeflow

Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
    Ok, so I can see you've got the JGAurora A3S version II, which at this point we have not created a custom firmware for. I will ask JGAurora for the factory firmware for this printer, so that there is a way to go back if you don't like the custom firmware.
    Cool, thank you very much @Samuel Pinches.

Thanks men! 
    I will try it as soon as I put the machine back to work. Yesterday I was cleaning it from ABS rest and I think I touched the temperature sensor cables. The screen went to black after a electric sock and it hasn´t ricovery since them. Yeah I know, probably I should have switch off the printer right?

Kind corona-free regards
    Oh dear..... What were you cleaning it with? I'm sorry - I don't have any good news for you. Most likely 24V from the heater went into the thermistor wires and toasted the CPU. :'(
    Hi there,
    I didn,t use any liquid, just graving the abs with the tweezers. But I think I may have done a contact between the hotter en de temperature sensor (or just break this last one). Any way Im talking with them to get a new printer or to repair this one. 
    Once I can I will try the new firmware!
    Ok! Let me know how you go. Best of luck.
    Hi there,
    I didn,t use any liquid, just graving the abs with the tweezers. But I think I may have done a contact between the hotter en de temperature sensor (or just break this last one). Any way Im talking with them to get a n
    Hi there Samuel, I´m back. I will try the new firware today, I will tell you later how it goes
    @Jaco Carlo Kasun  - we have not created any new firmware yet. The one I linked to is the original factory firmware from JGAurora. We need this, in case the custom firmware fails, and you need to go back. I'm sorry, but right now I don't have time to help with making a new firmware.  Maybe in 4 weeks I will have time.
    That´s no problem men, I have all the time of the world. I mean you are so kind to help all the rokkies of this page for free. I willbe here to tasted even in a year ;)
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
    @Jaco Carlo Kasun  How are you? :smiley: What a crazy few months. I hope that wherever in the world you are, you're safe and well. Hopefully things will only improve from here.

Anyway, I was just reaching out to you about the low temperature printing of PCL. Are you still working on this?