Home JGAurora A5S, A1 & A3S-V2 Getting Started & Troubleshooting

A5S LCD powers on with USB connection

With the printer's main power off, the LCD menu will power up, and function, when a USB cable is attached.

I just want to make sure this is normal operation, since i've read a few comments about stray voltage being an issue via USB on the A5.

If this is normal, will the screen go to "sleep" if I leave it plugged in. My hope is to get Octoprint running, and I would like to leave the USB plugged in, but I would rather not have the LCD constantly powered. 

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Hi Geoiv, yes this is normal behaviour on the A5S. Octoprint should work with the custom firmwares on the A5S. The LCD is directly controlled by the motherboard on the A5S, unlike the A5 where it is a separate module with separate firmware. A sleep function on the screen would be nice, but not implemented yet.
    Thanked by 1GEOIV
  • GEOIVGEOIV Posts: 5Member
    Thanks again Samuel, I appreciate the help/info. 
  • Richy_TRichy_T Posts: 142🌟 Super Member 🌟
    edited August 2021

I didn't like this happening so I opened up a USB cable and cut the 5V wire. Since both devices are powered, you only need the data wires and ground (in fact I'm not even sure you need the ground).

I stopped using Octoprint though as I was getting weird pauses in my prints that would cause blobs. I might revisit that sometime. Octoprint is cool.

Thanked by 1GEOIV
    Post edited by Richy_T on
  • GEOIVGEOIV Posts: 5Member

Nice idea