Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Getting Started & Troubleshooting

firmware upload problem

good afternoon everybody,

i ran into a problem with my a5.
two weeks ago i bought a bltouch sensor, i assembled it onto my printer and ran the cable into the main chassis
i am struggling with getting the correct firmware for a few days now, since i dont know what i have to enable and disable in the configuration file, and how all this stuff works, i want to ask you guys for some help.
i looked at different websites and videos on youtube how to install and change the firmware, but all are different.

i hope someone can help me, because now i cant print since my sensor doesnt work yet.

kind regards,
Bart

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    edited June 2021

Hi @Barts
    Unfortunately the Marlin Firmware keeps evolving over time, so any guide is usually only relevant for a specific Marlin version.

What marlin version are you trying to compile for your A5?

The first step is to get a working build of Marlin going, without the bltouch. After you have that, then you can follow one of the more standard guides for installing a BLtouch.

Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
  • BartsBarts Posts: 7Member

hi samuel,
    atm i have no idea what version i have running on my printer, i have downloaded the most recent version of marlin (version 2.0.8.2) to change set as my new firmware.
    im pretty sure the firmware im using right now is a bit outdated since i never updated it.

the picture above is the folder i downloaded from the official website of marlin, and this is what is in the config folder.

if you open the default folder it will show this,

and the [examples] folder gives me configuration files for loads of different printers.

i hope this is enough information,

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator

Hi @Barts
    I'm sorry it appears a little confusing. The printer configurations were separated out into a different repository, separate from the firmware itself. You need to get the configuration and configuration_adv for your A5 printer from the examples folder.

Then, you can replace those files in the full marlin firmware. That should be about all you need to do for the A5. However, please note: compiling Marlin 2.0.x also is best to do in Visual Studio Code (VSCode), it may not work in the arduino IDE. So you may need to install VSCode, and install the PlatformIO extension as well.

Does that help at all?

• michalko99michalko99 Posts: 153Member, 🌟 Super Member 🌟

From my experience, I would suggest you to use Marlin 1.19 version. There you can use Arduino IDE for modification. I spent whole Christmass time digging in VSCode with firmware for my Flsun Q5. Unfortunately, there was still something wrong while compiling, even when I followed step by step tutorials.

For A5, I had no problem in IDE. I also rebuilt my Da Vinci PRO 3in1 to usable MKS and Marlin configuration, where I did everything from beginning. No glitches, no problems with libraries.

If your board is still MKS GenL, I would not go for Marlin 2.0. I see only benefit with linear advance, but with such long bowden tube from extruder, there is no benefit of using it