Homeβ€Ί JGAurora A5 & A3Sβ€Ί Getting Started & Troubleshooting

Extruder stepper kissed goodbye

MattMatt Posts: 314🌟 Super Member 🌟

It appears that finally the extrusion stepper abandoned me: indeed, this one I mounted as extruder used to be the stock Y-stepper, which I swapped with the stock extrusion stepper and placed it to extrude the filament, placing the stock extrusion stepper in stead of the stock Y one, to see whether it was the latter to have problems in moving the Y belt (but then the issue was discovered to be a matter of drivers: though I leaved them as they are). Anyway probably I had the extruder working for long and finally it went broken: when I try to turn it up or down thru the up/down "buttons" of the "extrude" section, it dosn't turn, but tries to turn, vibrating to and fro, acting like jammed.
I don't have handy a substitute with fitting specs from JG: during all the period I owned this printer, I bought many steppers in order to substitute the ones that went broken (specially one of the ones of the Z-driver), but they wasn't fitting 'cause of the wiring and/or voltage/amperage (I wasn't aware that there was need of specific qualities). Some have the wiring with black at 3d from left instead of 4th from left. Anyway, I cannot ascertain if the culprit is the stepper.

Comments

• MattMatt Posts: 314🌟 Super Member 🌟
    edited October 2021

I forgot (I had to write another post 'cause apparently I'm unable to modify the prime post: I do not see anymore the "edit" cog on the right upper corner of the post window). It is there a way to see wheter the stepper died?

Post edited by Matt on
  • michalko99michalko99 Posts: 153Member, 🌟 Super Member 🌟

stepper should be OK. Just phases are swapped. Usually a pair o wires should be swapped. I did it many times, but every time I need to make table to find correct pairing. Just unplug connector from motor and swap terminals by lifting small "thing" on connector. I am working 6 years with steppers and never saw broken one

edited October 2021

Well so far the printer has worked finely. The extruder has begun working that way since yesterday, after a long session of printing all night long. Albeit I leaved it cooling and quieting, next day the problem still appeared. I had also some other steppers to test iknsted of it, but the wiring scheme and eventually also the ohmmage/amperage doesn't match. How can I ascertain if the stepper is dead?

Post edited by Matt on

ok. So if you says, that motor was hot, there is chance that one of coils is burned. That is why it only "hummmms" instead of rotation. So your stepper driver is set wrong=high current into coils. Setting extruder is always tricky, as too low current will cause slip, too high motor overheating

can you check if you can detect 2 coils by ohm meter?

edited October 2021

It is not hot: it just doesn't turn cw or ccw once I hit the up / down buttons in the extruding section of the interface. I changed the drivers many months ago, all of them: and so far the printer did worked well.
    Now that you are talking about drivers, I'm suspecting that I could have moved accidentally and unnoticing the plug of the E-stepper whilst the printer was printing: if I'm not wrong, this might lead to driver problems?

Post edited by Matt on

what drivers are you using? They are quite forgiving and if not shorted during movement, they should survive.
    Can you measure coils on motor? Any cheap multimeter from Tesco can do it

edited October 2021

I use palulus. They was changed in all 4 slots. They worked since 4 months or so, since I changed them for the Y-axis issue, as you might remember. Now I changed the one of the extruder, but the issue surfaced anyway. The stepper has gone apparently. I don't know how to measure if it works. I have the multimeter though: I used it right now to test the vref of the new driver. Though I see also that the green wire of the 4-ways plug looks a little worn... But I guess that's not the culprit. Whilst I'm out on buying for the stepper, do you have any idea on how to find a slim one with specs of the default one?

Post edited by Matt on

at first you must identify if one of coils is broken or wire is broken. This can be done by using resistance measurement.

If you are using original extruder gear-mounted on right pillar, forget about slim motor. They do not have enough torque and will slip during feeding. Slimmer or pancake types can be used only with geared extruders. I think you do not have enough skills to replace and tune it to new configuration. Question is if you want to print, or spend a lot of time and frustration with new configuration(geared needs different steps per mm value and reversing of stepper direction)

Thanked by 1Matt