Homeโ€บ JGAurora A5S, A1 & A3S-V2โ€บ Modifications & Upgrades

Filament sensor cable?

I have and love an A5S, but it has recently succumbed to the common filament sensor issue where it will stop and beep even though there is filament present. All I wish to do is disconnect the cable. On the older versions, this was the B1 cable. I am not sure if that is the case with the A5S, but the solution should still be the same. The machine is excellent, so I want to bypass/disconnect the cable (I never use that feature anyway) and get back to printing.
The problem is that all of the online videos show the older versions, and the cable placement is not the same. (At least I have not found it to be.) I've got the machine apart and have looked at everything, and I can't (yet) ID the correct "B1" cable (or whatever it is called on this version). I have gone over the manuals, searched the Net, etc.
If anyone out there can post a picture or perhaps email one to me that shows the proper cable to unplug, I'd be grateful. I'm older and don't typically visit online forums, so if I am not following some protocols, please pardon me.
Thank you very much,
-K. Russell
razai723@gmail.com

PS If it helps you to help me, I am pretty familiar with 3D printing. I've been into it for about six years and this is my eleventh machine. I can handle most any hardware issue and even a few software issues. I have never gone into the GCODE and made any changes, as that does enter areas where I am not skilled.

Comments

• eyeseyes Posts: 70๐ŸŒŸ Super Member ๐ŸŒŸ
    Hi razai. I cant remember what color it is but if you have your machine apart and can send a picture of the board with connections I think I can help you. I think it is possible to disconnect it at the extruder. I changed to a BMG extruder and took mine off. The wire is still present at the board so it was just left in place.ย 
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
    This is it. B1.ย 
  • RazaiRazai Posts: 21Member
    Thank you very much for replying. I will take a closer look at my internals tomorrow.ย 
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Welcome @Razai ,
    I've added a photo on the wiki of the motherboard. Anyone is welcome to add content to the wiki - I don't think anyone has really looked into how the filament sensor works on the A5S.

I have stared at your photos, but I can't seem to make it match up with my board. Your pic shows a disconnected three-wire cable attached to the middle of the board. I don't have anything like that. I'll attempt to post a pic of my board. Any further help would be appreciated.

I'm pretty sure its the red and black wire with the white plug. There is a white label on the black wire that should say B1. The other 3 wires plugged in next to it (red,blue, and green plugs) are your X,Y, and Z endstop switches. The extra wires on my board are for BLTouch and for the cooling fan mod. My hotend cooling fan doesn't come on until it reaches 50C so I don't have to listen to it all the time when the printer is on.
    After unplugging that cable, I was able to see that it is labeled B1, so good call. I am about to run a test print. Thanks very much.
    The printer immediately starts beeping and gives the "filament out" error message. I thought unplugging the B1 cable would bypass that function. Any thoughts?
    Restart the printer after unplugging - does that solve it?
    edited December 2019
    If not, you will need to short circuit those two wires on that cable to make the printer think the circuit is closed.

The difference is some switches close the circuit when they are pushed (called normally open or NO), while others open the circuit when they are pressed (called normally closed or NC).

Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
    A restart didn't fix it, no. Any idea how to "short circuit" the wires? I love this printer, but the sensor keeps it from being usable. My emails back and forth from their "customer service" folks were about as helpful as sandpaper being used as toilet paper. 60 grit...
    If you cut the wire, strip the insulation of the end and twist the two wires together, (cover with electrical tape after than) that will send the same signal as a closed switch.
    Thanks. I'll try that in the morning.
    If you want a cleaner look I can make you a short circuit wire to plug in that would do the same thing. I have lots of those 3 pin connectors. Send me a message with your address if you would like one. It will only take a few minutes to make.ย 
    I appreciate that very much. I think I just sent you a message. If not, please advise and I'll try to figure it out again. I can build anything with my hands, but this computer stuff confusing.
  • JGAuroraJGAurora Posts: 4Member, ๐ŸŒ Official JGAurora Staff ๐ŸŒ
    Hi๏ผŒย 
    This is filament sensor cable .

If your fiament sensor is broken , you may cut off the black wire and connect them together .