Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Getting Started & Troubleshooting

Stepper motors wont move, need help diagnosing issue

Hello everyone. A few days ago I started a print on my A5 and when it finished heating but before it homed I noticed smoke. By the time I noticed the smoke I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Now, none of the stepper motors will move. I can still heat the bed and extruder but cannot home or extrude. If I connect to octoprint it is the same story, can still heat but not move. What do you think the issue is? Could it be the stepper drivers? I can't imagine that all of them fried at the same time. Do you think it is a problem with the stepper motors themselves? Main Board? Power supply? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• Stephen ToddStephen Todd Posts: 281🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Switch mode power supplies are notorious for failing as they are high stress electronics - easy to test under load with voltmeter - but you can still heat the bed and extruder - power supply would normally go dead with no output voltage

I would expect to see burned electronic components, terminal blocks, wiring, etc. pinpointing the area of trouble - if you can't see anything, then I'd say its the MKS Gen L controller board - which are dirt cheap on Amazon, or the official makerbase store on aliexpress