Homeβ€Ί JGAurora A5 & A3Sβ€Ί Getting Started & Troubleshooting

z axis seems gone crazy

2Β»

Comments

• michalko99michalko99 Posts: 153Member, 🌟 Super Member 🌟
    hi. Steppers does not have power supply and ground. There are just 2 coils inside. If stepper is rotating in reverse, just swap pairs with each other.Β 

Look at this site. There is how it is connected inside and on very bottom of page is how to make it reversed.Β 
    https://reprap.org/wiki/Stepper_wiring

Steppers in Aurora are running in parallel. But for correct procedure, always start with homing first. Without it, printer does not know where axis is.

When you press homing, what will happen? If your shafts are disconnected from Z screws, you can loook at rotation direction while homing and then hit twice Z homing microswitch. After that you will be allowed to move axis stepper by LCD menu in desired way. If new stepper is running opposite, rewire pairs(slightly bend plastic retainer pin on connector, take out pin bend plastic back and put another pin in. It will be locked)

After that start printer again and do homing.Test again.

NEVER disconnect steppers when printer is powered ON!!!

Best would be to see some photos of your setup
    Thanked by 2Matt Samuel Pinches
  • MattMatt Posts: 314🌟 Super Member 🌟
    edited November 2020
    Ok, making pics. Sending.
    By curiosity, what does it serve the other 2 wires attached, if only 2 are functional?
    Post edited by Matt on
    Sending.
    1-2 are the new stepper and its wiring - 3 is the wiring of the surviving original z-axis stepper and 4-5 are the filament stepper and its wiring (as you see, different from z-axis ones) plus its tag (whish is the same of the z-axis stepper: though, when I try to mount it ). The filament stepper is slightly biger than the z-axis'.

An update, meanwhile. I tried to switch the the wires and attach the new stepper to the other z-axis beam, but it didn't worked. I attached it to the filament extruder plug, and it worked. So, apparently this stepper is suitable for the extruder (it has the same height though). Can someone please point me to a correct stepper for the z-axis? The one suggested by Sam is no more available.
  • Laser8302Laser8302 Posts: 170Member, 🌟 Super Member 🌟
    With the Z-axis being 2 motors driven by 1 driver, I would personally replace them with a new set. (IE if one fails, replace both.) I don't like the idea of mixing different stepper motors on the Z-axis.

That being said, not all steppers are wired the same for the coils.

In the stepper motor, there are 2 coils, A and B. Each coil has 2 wires, 1 and 2. If the manufacture chose to wire them different from the one on your printer, you will need to re-wire the motor side, or the side on the board to fix that.

With the pair where one turns one way, the other turns opposite, you could just flip the connector at the motor that is turning the wrong way and everything should work.
    edited December 2020
    Hi. Sorry for the late reply, but I cannot receive notifies since some days. And I got many other things behind. Btw, I received right today the stepper bought directly from jgaurora reseller in aliexpress: I mounted it and... I hit the z+ button in the "move" section, but the steppers lowered the z-bar up, and other times raised, at random. Then I tried to put on home the z-axis (as an user suggested), pushing the general home button which resets the homes for all the three axis: when it came to the z-axis, the "gantry" (which was already raised for some span upwards, in order to better lodge the new stepper and accomodate the base) raised upwards instead of downwards, thus I got to push manually the endstop "sensor" in order to avoid that the gantry had hit the upper crossbar. After many trials manually stopping the raising of the gantry each time it tried going upwards, finally the printer decided to go downward, stopping perfectly at place when hitting the z-stop sensor. Same when I tried to level it: I hitted the z-level button, but it keept going upwards or even stopped mid air. Now I'm printing after a manual leveling and it is printing well!
    The stepper looks good (it anyways turns, whilst others didn't...): I avoided to buy a pair not only for reasons of money (they osted cheap), but specially 'cause nobody ensured to me that the seller had them perfectly coupled. Btw, he ensured that it was good to comply with the original surviving stepper. So, now I don't know what to do: I cannot print so far 'cause the thermistor wire went broken and I had to give it to my electrician in order to solder it (my solders abandoned me both at onc today!), so I have to wait to see if it will print good. Anyway, I'm still baffled and doubtful.
    It is a problem of the motherboard? The tl-smoothers are gone? The display has become faulty? Possible that nobody else got a problem like this?

Post edited by Matt on
    edited December 2020
    This is the reply I received from their support yesterday (so far they didn't answered again):

"maybe the motor line is loose, or the motor is not adater of the mainboard. Also we can try to update the firmware of it".

How a stepper line coud be "loose" and produce such an issue? How a stepper sold by they themselves would be not "adater" (adapted?) to the board? And why it should be a firmware issue? And how they should update it?

Post edited by Matt on
    edited December 2020
    Today they sent also the firmware: so they thought it is a matter of firmware, but didn't told me after which clue. Anyway, followed the included video (which didn't told about any lcd unplugging... So I didn't unplugged it), but no flashing happened: still having the 3.0.2 firm and the weird events in z-axis.
    Post edited by Matt on