Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Getting Started & Troubleshooting

How to disassemble print head/gantry (A5)?

I've been trying to get my A5 working for years but kept putting it on the back burner. Recently I've had a bit more free time and have been putting in the effort to fix this thing but everything keeps going wrong. I broke the screw that goes into the block trying to unscrew it and it's too short to use pliers and I can't get it out with a power drill and easy-out bits. I'm thinking I need to remove the whole head part and put in some penetrating oil to get the screw out. Any thoughts, tips, helpful advice? Thank you for your time.

Comments

• michalko99michalko99 Posts: 153Member, 🌟 Super Member 🌟
    edited September 2020
    hi. this happened to me on Prima P120-when I tried to unscrew heater block in old state... I had to remove whole block from axis, fix it in the vice, heat it with heat gun and use drill bit for extracting broken screws. This drill can be purchased at any hardware shop for almost nothing. I recommend using hand powered drill holder and pushing on rest of heatbreak from top. 

Do not forget to haet it up before!! There might be bits of molten plastic in threads, whose are holding it really tight when cold

For removal you have to unscrew Z motors, remove thread screws, linear guides and then you can manipulate with X axis freely. remove all cables and you have free hotend block. This is how I replaced bearings on X axis(for bottom bearing you need this procedure, as it is enclosed inside block.Top, bigger bearing is screw fixed by metal block)
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
    Post edited by michalko99 on
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    edited September 2020
    And welcome @SkyLightOcean
    Thanked by 1SkyLightOcean
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
  • michalko99michalko99 Posts: 153Member, 🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Hello. Any success with removal?
  • Laser8302Laser8302 Posts: 170Member, 🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Did you loosen the two grub screws on the side before trying to unscrew the heater block?