Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Getting Started & Troubleshooting

Getting Prints to stick

I have just got my new A5 and am still running the factory firmware, I have levelled the print bed up to within a business card depth of the nozzle, when I start to print after a layer or a couple at best the print starts to warp and distort and then the nozzle eventually knocks it off the print bed, does anyone have any suggestions, so far I have tried printing basic tests like benchy or the mini test rig using the following settings:

PLA+ (sample pack supplied with the printer)

Nozzle temp 210

Bed Temp 50

Print speed 30mm

Resolution 0.2mm

I have also sliced in JGaurora software and Cura ( makes no difference)

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    edited October 2018
    Welcome @Laurence Ross
    What have you tried so far out of the tips on the wiki?
    https://jgaurorawiki.com/a5/bed-adhesion
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
  • Laurence RossLaurence Ross Posts: 2Member

Thanks Samuel,

So far I have tried:

pre-heating, I had the bed up to 60c and leaving it for a good while at one point but then read for PLA it better to be cooler so put it back to 50C

I tried reducing the layer height down to 0.15 didn't seem to make much difference

there doesn't seem to be a method to slow the fan down (using JGaurora software) but have tried with it turned off.

I haven't tried slowing the first layer down (again as I don't seem to be able to do this with JGaurora software)

Cleaning the bed not done anything other than wipe it as I am not sure the best product to use on it,

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    I'd suggest buying some isopropyl alcohol, that will remove the oils that are on the bed, they are the main reason things will not stick. I would suggest raising the bed to at least 60C, I normally use 67C for PLA personally.

The reason for the reduced layer height, is that means that there is more "smushing" action as the ratio of nozzle diameter to layer height is higher. You will still need to get your bed precisely levelled though, this doesn't remove the need for that.

If you install the custom LCD firmware, you can take advantage of the "baby stepping" feature, which can help to dial in the first layer perfectly.  Have a look on the wiki for more info.