Home JGAurora A5S, A1 & A3S-V2 Modifications & Upgrades

PLANNING: New firmware

124»

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    That’s excellent to hear it is working. I’ll install it on my A5S and A1 tomorrow and try to get the geometry double checked for the positions.
  • aestremsaestrems Posts: 33🌟 Super Member 🌟
    edited March 2019
    First print is a very successful print! I’m really impress, the quality is better, the surfaces are smoother than before. 

I found the printer was slower to heat up the bed, took more than 7 min to get 60c degrees and 9 min to start de print. The nozzle heat up really fast as in the stock firmware 

i think the problem with the bed is when is heating up the LED shows a fast intermittent Red light instead of constant red light as in the stock firmware, but when gets the right temperature, this one is really stable. Looks like is heating the bed as keeping the stable temperature, making the heating up process much slower 
    Post edited by aestrems on
  • FrezapFrezap Posts: 21Member, 🌟 Super Member 🌟
    You guys are doing awesome work! Thank you so much!

First impressions and printing are very good!

Though I too experience the bed heating issues aestrems mentioned. I have my printer in the cold basement, so it struggles reaching 60°C.

Unfortunatly EEPROM doesnt seem to work yet. I tried to save some PID values to EEPROM, but the printer doesn't keep the values after a restart.
    New firmware build, with better print settings and PID enabled.

Unfortunately I can’t figure out how to get eeprom working. Someone else will have to try look into hat, I don’t have time.

https://github.com/pinchies/Marlin/tree/jgaurora_a5s_a1_with_lcd_buttons/Marlin/Firmware%20Builds/For%20SD%20card%20upload
  • SomeoneYouLikeSomeoneYouLike Posts: 38🌟 Super Member 🌟
    edited March 2019
    @Samuel Pinches  XYZ Cube is rather quite big, here is measurements that I have gotten:

X: 20.35
    Y: 20.19
    Z: 20.14

Is it possible to modify the Steps Per Unit in the firmware? If everyone gets similar results.

This is using the beta 2 Firmware. I assume you are using the default Steps Per Unit that came with the original firmware? 
    Post edited by SomeoneYouLike on
    Yes it it’s possible to change the hardcoded values. If you want to try calibrate your printer you can set the steps temporarily using M092, and even put that into your start gcode if necessary.
    Odd,

When I calibrated using M92 in the Starting GCODE, the print would start off normally. However, mid way through the first layer the printer would randomly "drift off" and move to the positions it already did. But, not extruding filament. @Samuel Pinches

Very odd... I've got no idea what's going on there! Could be filling small holes?
  • newbie123newbie123 Posts: 3Member
    edited March 2019
    Hey, first off thanks for your awesome work guys. 
    Is it possible to enable bed leveling in the next beta? I flashed beta 2 and it’s not there anymore. In beta 1.1 its there. 

Second thing: from what I could read out eeprom isn’t working atm. But is it possible to save the mesh bed somehow and apply it to the start gcode?
    did one now and the first print is very good for now. But don’t want to do it every time again ;)

third thing: first layer is only good with a z-offset of -0.015 for my setup atm. Can I apply this to the gcode too?

keep going guys ;)

oh, and while I wrote this I did my first test cube. And im getting multiple layer shifts at the end..
    Post edited by newbie123 on
    At the moment, nothing can be saved, so mesh will not work. I hope we can find the solution to the eeprom soon, but I need some help. I will re-enable mesh in the next firmware.
    edited March 2019
    Several late nights later.... beta 3 firmware!! With some tweaks I somehow I managed to get EEPROM working, via saving data to the SD card. So this means, that now there are settings, and mesh bed levelling support!
    Improvements include
    - Smoother Acceleration
    - Slightly Quieter Printing
    - EEPROM Support via saving to SD card!
    - FULL MESH BED LEVELLING!!!

Download here

Use at your own risk! This is beta software, anything could happen!
    Thanked by 1aestrems
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
  • aestremsaestrems Posts: 33🌟 Super Member 🌟
    edited March 2019
    @Samuel Pinches great work!! I will test it as soon as possible, I will let you know my impressions, thank you for your work 
    Post edited by aestrems on
    edited March 2019
    Great  :)
    Mesh bed leveling and eeprom via sd is working. Print looks smooth but still getting layer shifting at about 6mm height. Never had any problems with shifting before. 
    A5S
    Post edited by newbie123 on
    Hi @newbie123 - thank you for the feedback! If you are able, please try the version 3.1 or 3.2 - they should fix the layer shifting. I'm working on v3.3 to fix SD card printing freezing. :smile:
    v 3.3 released, hopefully this will improve print reliability from SD card printing.
    Thanked by 1aestrems
    Beta 4 released: https://jgmakerforum.com/discussion/610/custom-community-firmware-for-a5s-a1

I'm not doing any new work on this for the next week, so please try it and let me know your feedback :smile:

I will try this. I've tried 3.3 but still got layer shifting while printing from sd card or via Pronterface. Maybe Cura 4 is the problem? 
    I give feedback for beta 4 as soon as i've tried it.
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
    edited March 2019
    If you can please send me the problem gcode file, I’ll test it. Thanks.
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
    edited March 2019
    Can confirm,

I heard a loud noise from something (no idea from what) from the printer, and then got a layer shift at layer 1.65mm using the latest custom firmware and latest Cura 4.0 slicer. Had a successful print using the same GCODE with the official JGAurora Firmware. I've attached the GCODE. Specifically, I got the layer shift on layer 10. @Samuel Pinches

Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
    Thanks, @SomeoneYouLike , I'll test it out.
    Great, @Samuel Pinches  Let us know if you get better results.
    edited March 2019
    So, I have a theory. 

I have done a XYZ Cube (20mm) using the latest firmware with the stock Steps-Per-Unit given with the firmware. 

Here how it looks:

As you can see from the bottom, roughly 0.65mm and down of the XYZ cube there seems to be a slight color disorientation. As the rest of the cube seems to came out excellent. I believe there may be slight layer shifting on the first few layers of a 3D printed object which became more clear or even fails the print completely as the object is scaled in size. @Samuel Pinches

As you can see in this much larger print the shift, which I stopped when I noticed the large layer shift so I don't waste PLA.

(don't know why the picture is rotated that way, don't know how to fix.)