Homeโ€บ JGAurora A5 & A3Sโ€บ Getting Started & Troubleshooting

Pause at z layer

rhaub101rhaub101 Posts: 89๐ŸŒŸ Super Member ๐ŸŒŸ
Iโ€™m try to pause at z layer or z height to change filament. I have added the script in cura, sliced it and then loaded the gcode into octoprint for printing but it does not pause, it prints right past the layer or height I request. What am I doing wrong? Iโ€™m using cura 3.6. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Richy_TRichy_T Posts: 142๐ŸŒŸ Super Member ๐ŸŒŸ
    Octoprint sends codes directly to the printer so I think this is an Octoprint issue.

Do you know which code it's using? If it's M600, it might be sending it directly through but I think our printers don't understand this and would need something based around the M0 code. However, it would probably be better for Octoprint to handle it all so it might be worth looking there.
  • Richy_TRichy_T Posts: 142๐ŸŒŸ Super Member ๐ŸŒŸ
    I'm going to try what OutsoucedGuru suggests here https://discourse.octoprint.org/t/pause-at-layer-end/1412/12

The main issue is that you have to know the extruder setting. From what I've seen, that should be retrievable in Octoprint scripts though (maybe). Or if it's inserted in the script directly, you'd have to get it from the previous extrusion instruction.

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Don't forget there is a buffer of commands saved on the motherboard - when you push pause in octoprint, octoprint will stop sending new print data, but depending on the complexity of the layer, and the print speed, it can take up to 1 minute for the print to stop since there is still a buffer of commands already sent to the motherboard.

What you can do is insert the pause command into the print file gcode itself, so that you will get the exact pause position you want.

• rhaub101rhaub101 Posts: 89๐ŸŒŸ Super Member ๐ŸŒŸ
    That probably explains why the small 10 layer test print didnโ€™t pause at layer 5. How do I insert a pause command in the gcode, move the head, and the resume after the filament change?
    1. Open the gcode file
    2. look for a layer change (G0 or G1 are move commands, find one with a Z move indicated)
    3. insert pause command on a new line (I don't know if this is M600 or M0... trial and error)
    4. Optionally, you can insert other commands to move out of the way too, like here.
    5. Resume printing when ready via Octoprint or Pronterface.
    Useful links:

• SparkSpark Posts: 49๐ŸŒŸ Super Member ๐ŸŒŸ
    I tried M600 and it hasn't done anything.ย  Does anyone know the proper command?ย 
    edited May 2019
    @Spark M600 may work, but if it does, it would only work if you have installed the custom firmware on the A5.

Another hack you could try would be to set the bed temperature to 52C, then back to 67C and then repeat a couple of times - the cooling heating cycle should delay things a little to give you time to change filament etc.
    e.g.
    M0 X0 Y0 ; move head out of the way
    M140 S53 ; start cooling bed to 53C
    M190 ; wait until bed temp reached
    M140 S 67 ; start heating bed again
    M140 S53 ; start cooling bed to 53C
    M140 S 67 ; start heating bed again
    That should give you a 2-3 minute pause, without affecting the print too much, and without requiring any other intervention to resume. Since the head is moved out of the way, you can manually extrude some filament by hand to get it properly primed.
    For doing an actual indefinite pause , M0 should work, and it will wait for you to resume via Octoprint. You cannot resume via the LCD panel on the A5.

Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
    @Spark - welcome to the forum too :smile:
  • SparkSpark Posts: 49๐ŸŒŸ Super Member ๐ŸŒŸ
    Thanks!ย  I have the A5s and I CANNOT get it to work in Octoprint!!ย  I am frustrated at that.ย  Support asked me to send them a video of it so they could try and troubleshoot.ย ย 

I sent them what is listed below but they want a video..ย 

Recv: ok
    Send: N2633 G1 X198.556 Y154.815 E17.20056*107
    Recv: Error:Line Number is not Last Line Number+1, Last Line: 27Resend: 28
    Send: N2634 G1 X199.104 Y154.815 E17.22701*105
    Send: N2635 G1 X194.475 Y150.185 E17.54318*111
  • Der_MuckDer_Muck Posts: 265๐ŸŒŸ Super Member ๐ŸŒŸ
    Did you unplug the cable of the LCD display of the A5?
    Try a other USB Cable to see if it works. I had that to when I try to print via direct print with repetier server.
    I didnt try it myself again, I upload the gcode and start the print than. That works everytime.