Home› JGAurora A5S, A1 & A3S-V2› Modifications & Upgrades

Newbie - Wants to upgrade

Hi All,

first I have to apologize probably raising questions that already been answered before.
I just bought the JGAURORA 5S and I am extremely happy with the print results.
I noticed a couple of youtube videos how to optimize the 5S and some hints pointed to a custom mod.
I would be very happy if someone could help me to find the latest and greatest Mod and how to take a backup first so in case of a problem to restore to factory default.

Thanks a million.

testoli

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    edited March 2019
    Welcome to the forum!
    All the info on firmware upgrades is on the wiki – see the top navigation bar for the link. Please note, while we have been testing the software for about a month now, it is still beta, and you may encounter glitches or bugs.
    Regarding firmware, there's no need to backup the firmware, as all the original firmware versions are available to download too. The firmware upgrade process is 100% reversible.
    Happy to answer any questions.
    Best regards,
    Sam
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
  • testolitestoli Posts: 5Member
    Hi Sam,

Great to hear back. I saw a youtube video inregards to mesh leveling. I was totally excited about that simple and relaible approach, but today I saw a review about the 5S and it seems that meshleveling is not available.
    Is there any other approach that helps to level the print as I noticed that the heatbed and the glas plate is only connected by some clamps. In previous printer plate and glas was glued togehter. ok, the benefit is, you can clean the glas, but in terms of allover precisenes I saw some gaps between glas and plate.

Thanks for welcome me.

testoli
    edited March 2019
    @testoli - unfortunately, you are correct. The levelling on the A5S (and most other large bed printers) is not precise enough. It is a shame that the manufacturer firmware does not have auto bed levelling.
    However, in the community firmware, we do have mesh bed levelling, so you may like to try it out - like I said, you can change back if you don't like it.
    When leveling the bed, always make sure it it is hot and fully up to temperature before trying to level.
    Cheers,
    Sam

Hi Sam,

who ever coded this  stuff owns a beer. 
    I tried the custom firmware, did the mesh level and printed some test stuff. These prints are by far the best results I ever had.
    Wow! Great.
    The Display is a bit odd and I am wondering if there is  display firmware as well, but the rest is amazingly good.

Big thanks and regards from Germany.
    testoli
    edited March 2019
    Thanks Testoli for the kind words, I'm really glad to hear you are happy with the results!
    The Marlin firmware team created the firmware, which is the same that powers most of the other 3D printers on the market. This is the latest and greatest version, and this configuration for the A5S and A1 was prepared by @jelot_it and myself, as each 3D printer motherboard model is slightly different, and requires a specific configuration to be created.
    The original firmware has a much nicer user interface, that is true, but --  this custom firmware is compatible with Octoprint print server running on a Raspberry Pi, and there are a number of custom interfaces that work with that platform.
    Cheers,
    Sam
    edited March 2019
    Hi Sam,

I agree. 
    In regards to octoprint - will the meshleveling information overwritten by Octoprint when I have finished the leveling. I am asking as files created by cura uploaded to octoprint did. At that time I used the A30 printer.
    I am now using Simplify3D due to the good support printing which can more easily be removed from the prints.

How can I change filament? There is no option to do that :S

Cheers
    testoli

Post edited by testoli on